Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help reading census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Victoria

Victoria Report 4 Jan 2005 15:40

does anyone know what this means. I have a george orwin that is aged 36 in the 1971 census, living in scarcliffe derbyshire. In the occupation part it says 'chelsea pensioner' what does this mean? have I read it correctly? In the last column it states the he is blind so that maybe explains why he is pensioned but it is the first bit I am confused with, victoria

Heather

Heather Report 4 Jan 2005 15:43

I guess you mean the 1871? A Chelsea Pensioner was/is a retired soldier who used to live in the Army's Royal Hospital accommodation in Chelsea, which makes me wonder what he was doing up North? Perhaps on holiday??? If you google "Chelsea Pensioner" you should get a lot of info on them. You often see them in uniform in London even now. Just found this brilliant site for you to look at: Remember to remove the brackets round the stops first. http://www(.)chelsea-pensioners(.)co(.)uk/history.htm

Victoria

Victoria Report 4 Jan 2005 15:48

hi heather, opps, yes i did mean 1871 census. In the census is says his birthplace was scarcliffe, derbyshire. so if your right, which you must be cos you knew it staight away, He must have moved south to serve in the forces? that now leaves me with another riddle to find the answer to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anne

Anne Report 4 Jan 2005 15:49

I have seen Chelsea Pensioners in many places in Yorkshire. I presumed they didn't actually need to be living in Chelsea? Sometimes they are quite young - c 40. Anne

Heather

Heather Report 4 Jan 2005 15:51

Perhaps so, Ann. I am a Londoner myself and as they lived in the Chelsea Hospital I just assumed they would tend to be in that area. May be I am wrong! Shall have to read through that site I found about them myself. They could come from anywhere, he wouldnt have had to move south to become a Chelsea Pensioner. It isnt a matter of age - I just found a 15 year old as one on a google site!

Pat

Pat Report 4 Jan 2005 15:55

I have a rellie who on the 1881 census is "Chelsea Out Pensioner" living in Chester but funny he was from Bradford in Yorkshire, my rellie was 59 years old. Pat x

Heather

Heather Report 4 Jan 2005 15:57

Perhaps thats it. They could be in the Royal Hospital or living at home or perhaps they had "branches" around the country. I must read that item I found! The Royal Hospital Chelsea The Royal Hospital Chelsea was founded by King Charles ll in 1682 as a retreat for veterans of the regular army who had become unfit for duty, either after 20 years service or as a result of wounds. The provision of a hostel, rather than a system of pensions, was most likely to have been inspired by the Hotel Des Invalides in Paris, founded by Louis XlV in 1670, about which Charles had received glowing reports from his son, the Duke of Monmouth. Because the royal revenue was inadequate for the needs of the country, Charles received no help from the Treasury for this ambitious project. Responsibility for the future hospital was taken up by Sir Stephen Fox, who had been Paymaster General for many years, and he purchased the land for the hospital. Together with a contribution of £7000 donated by the King and Fox's own surrender of his commission, the Hospital was built. Deductions from army pay and pensions continued to be the Hospitals main source of income until 1847. Since that date it has been supported by Parliamentary votes and a small income from the Hospitals' own property and bequests. There are approximately 400 In-Pensioners who are drawn from Out-Pensioners of good character and who are at least sixty-five years of age. Younger men may be admitted if it is certified that they are unable to earn their living as the result of a disability caused by service. On entering the Hospital an old soldier surrenders his army pension in return for board, lodging, clothing and medical care. The military organisation of the Hospital has been preserved, and the Governor and Lieutenant Governor are assisted by an Adjutant, three Medical Officers, a Chaplain, a Quartermaster and six Captains of Invalids who command the six Companies of In-Pensioners. The scarlet coats and ceremonial tricorn hats are a modernised version of the service dress of Marlboroughs' time. Parades are now generally limited to those before Matins on Sundays and Founders Day. The Royal Hospital website

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 4 Jan 2005 17:54

If George is a Chelsea Pensioner, there should be pension records somewhere. Try looking at the National Archives website. There are probably leaflets you can download. The Army is a complete mystery to me, but the equivalent records for the Royal Navy are absolutely brilliant and once you find your man, you can follow him through until he dies. Happy hunting B

Margaret

Margaret Report 4 Jan 2005 18:01

My 3 x great grandad was a Chelsea Pensioner on the 1851 census and living in Stamford, Lincs. I think that in those days it meant that they were living on an army pension. He had retired from the army in 1819 after 26 years service. Perhaps they have changed the meaning now to mean someone that does live in the Royal Hospital, Chelsea. I have also seen this on other census, none were living at the Hospital.

Victoria

Victoria Report 4 Jan 2005 18:34

hi all, many thanks for all your replies, you learn something new every day! Brenda - could you please explain what i can expect to find on the nation archives site. Can I actually get some info about my rellies on there or do I have to go down to kew. I have been on the site a couple of times but I alawys seem to go round in cirles on it and never find anything out. I have got rellies in both the army and navy and would love to find info on them. once again everyone, thanks for all your replies, victoria

Pat

Pat Report 4 Jan 2005 18:45

No Victoria I am the one thats always "Going Around In Circles" LOL, that's why my name suits me. I have tried looking for regiments etc., for my George who was a Chelsea Out Pensioner but I don't know enough about him yet. I am ordering his death cert but I won't be getting that for a few weeks, still its something interesting to look forward to finding out if my rellie was in a famous Battle or such like. Thanks Heather and thanks Brenda. Pat x

Heather

Heather Report 5 Jan 2005 11:21

Brenda, most of my lot were Royal Navy - I have looked at the NA site but find it very complicated (probably just me being a thicko). Is it possible to download any info from the site re your guy or is it a hands on down to Kew job? I would particularly like details of my Grandad who died aged only 47 in 1928 so I never knew him. He was regular Royal Navy. Served at Jutland (I remember mum telling me he was given a model of his ship in a case for that battle) and was one of the first submariners.

Victoria

Victoria Report 5 Jan 2005 16:57

heather- i have the same problem so your not the only one who feels a thicko, i can never get on with that site. I went on again last night to try again but ended up giving up. I would also like the know whether you can download info fron the site. It is gunna be ages before I can go to kew., best wishes victoria