Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adding new software -Now what do I do?.....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 3 Jan 2005 18:44

I now have the new Family Tree Maker 2005 and the instructions say delete your old Family tree Maker first. I have GSP Family Tree v2 (1997) do I actually delete it, is it the same. What happens to the info that I have on it? Do I save to a GED file and then import that. What is the best way to do this? Rosemary

Unknown

Unknown Report 3 Jan 2005 18:51

I can answer half your query! I have just installed FTM 2005, my first software, and I simply saved my GR tree as a Gedcom file and dropped it straight into FTM. So I would think it safe to assume that you do this with your old software - save as a Gedcom, delete the software, then import the Gedcom into your new software. Mandy :)

Heather

Heather Report 3 Jan 2005 18:52

Out of total ignorance I just put the FT2005 on my pc and the old info just exported itself! I hadnt read about deleting it! Why dont you put all the info onto a cd before you do anything then at least you have it all safe.

Walter

Walter Report 3 Jan 2005 19:05

Rosemary, If you simply delete your present info you've LOST IT FOREVER. Yes converting it to GEDCOM IS ONE WAY but I would suggest you additionally copy it in its present form to a CD AND/OR print it out on paper as a back up If you've got a relatively modern printer you can arrange to print 4 pages per A4 sheet and print back to back Yes the print will be small but you will have it to refer back to if necessary WALTER