Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Requesting help from members in USA.......

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy Report 3 Jan 2005 00:15

Can you recommend a US newspaper that is widely read across the different states, in which I might be able to place a 'trying to find' advert. The person I am seeking may possibly live in Massachusetts where her father hailed from. Thanks :O)

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 3 Jan 2005 00:30

Most newspapers have local or regional circulation. USA Today is national but I checked their site and they don't seem to have a Personal section. There are the financial newspapers like Wall Street Journal that is nationwide but do not have personal adds. You might want to start with person search web sites like Yahoo or People Finder. You could also try the phone directory like The White Pages or Verizon Superpages. I live in Pennsylvania. If you need any help please send me an email. Rose

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy Report 3 Jan 2005 00:44

Rose - thanks for your reply. This person posted a message about 4 years ago on Ancestry, which I only found when I started July04. I was unable to make a contact and have been searching and posting on different sites etc eversince without results. Cheers :O)

Judy

Judy Report 3 Jan 2005 01:10

Try, if you know their name, using an online telephone directory. Two I've had success with are: www.switchboard.*com www.anywho.*com Remember to remove the * from the addresses. If they have a publicly listed telpephone number you'll find them this way (an address and telephone number.) If their number is not publicly listed you may have luck using: www.ussearch.*com This site, for a small fee, will give you information to find them. This is by far a cheaper way to go than placing an ad in a paper. When searching, use the abbreviation for Massachusetts: MA Happy hunting! Judy

Crista

Crista Report 3 Jan 2005 01:58

Anne, Can you post the details here? It might be possible to work out their new email address based on ISP mergers or where they live. Crista