Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1881 District help required, please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

www.Siouxhealer

www.Siouxhealer Report 2 Jan 2005 17:36

OK, I admit defeat, and am asking for some help if possible. Can anyone tell me which Enumeration District Troedyrhiw, comes under for the 1881 Census. I know it would be Merthyr Tydfil, but Merthyr is split into Upper and Lower on Ancestry and both upper and lower, each contain 33 districts. Some of the districts contain 30 or 40 pages each which makes for one hell of a lot of hunting :( I'm looking for a William Barnes, who should be about 14 and possibly living in Bridge Street, Troedyrhiw. I'm thinking he may have been mistranscribed as I can't find him anywhere.Thought I may be able to find him by looking through the districts. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers Sioux

Smiley

Smiley Report 2 Jan 2005 17:47

I cannot answer your question directly, but would like to help if I can. Where was he born Sioux? Any idea who else could be in the household? Regards Sam

www.Siouxhealer

www.Siouxhealer Report 2 Jan 2005 18:02

Thats a nice offer Sam :) I've been at this for a yer this week now and the Welsh data thats missing off Ancestry is doing my head in :( Suppose I shouldn't moan.... research must have been a lot more time consuming befor the Internet. I have a photocopy of William Barnes's Marriage Cert, given to me by another family member and it states that he was 20 years old, an overman in a coal mine living at 42, Bridge Street Troedyrhiw. Fathers Name Charles Barnes. He married a Sarah Ann Davies age 18, living at 54 Yew Street, Troedyrhiw. Her Fathers Name David Davies, Colliery Timberman. I was hoping to locate the family before he married to get the census image from Ancestry .... but alas, no joy as yet. I have been lead to believe that Charles Barnes the Father originally came from Northumberland. To confirm this I need to work back more fully. It would be nice if you find anything, but don't put yourself out too much. Thanks very much Sioux

Smiley

Smiley Report 2 Jan 2005 19:23

Another pair of eyes never hurts ;) When was the marriage?

Bren from Oldham

Bren from Oldham Report 2 Jan 2005 19:30

hi Sioux The 1881 name index only shows 2 Wlliam Barnes of the aprox age of your William and they are not him Bren

www.Siouxhealer

www.Siouxhealer Report 2 Jan 2005 20:37

Gahhh I can't believe what a wally I was not putting something as important as the actual date on .... sorry ! 11th December 1887 Sioux

Mark

Mark Report 2 Jan 2005 23:50

Here are people listed at both addresses Dwelling: 42 Bridge Street Census Place: Merthyr Tydfil, Glamorgan, Wales Source: FHL Film 1342279 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 5312 Folio 75 Page 6 Marr Age Sex Birthplace George PULLMAN M 53 M Brecon, Brecknock, Wales Rel: Head Occ: Confectioner Mary PULLMAN M 52 F Bristol Rel: Wife Occ: Confectioner Wife William PULLMAN U 22 M Coleford, Gloucester, England Rel: Son Occ: Confectioner Emma PULLMAN U 20 F Coleford, Gloucester, England Rel: Daur Occ: Confectioners Assistant James PULLMAN U 13 M Coleford, Gloucester, England Rel: Son Occ: Confectioners Assistant Ann COLEMAN U 15 F Treforest, Glamorgan, Wales Rel: Servant Occ: Confectioners Servant Charls WESTHALL U 14 M Merthyr, Glamorgan, Wales Rel: Servant Occ: Confectioners Servant Dwelling: 54 Yew Street Census Place: Merthyr Tydfil, Glamorgan, Wales Source: FHL Film 1342278 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 5310 Folio 98 Page 9 Marr Age Sex Birthplace David DAVIES M 58 M Talley, Carmarthen, Wales Rel: Head Occ: Coal Miner Unemployed Winifred DAVIES M 51 F Rhymney, Monmouth, England Rel: Wife Morgan DAVIES U 35 M Rhymney, Monmouth, England Rel: Son Occ: Coal Miner David DAVIES U 17 M Troedyrhiw, Glamorgan, Wales Rel: Son Occ: Coal Miner Mary DAVIES U 24 F Troedyrhiw, Glamorgan, Wales Rel: Daur Occ: Dressmaker Daniel DAVIES U 15 M Troedyrhiw, Glamorgan, Wales Rel: Son Occ: Coal Miner Sarah DAVIES 11 F Troedyrhiw, Glamorgan, Wales Rel: Daur Occ: Scholar Winifred DAVIES 8 F Troedyrhiw, Glamorgan, Wales Rel: Daur Occ: Scholar No sign of your William or Charles though. Any idea what mothers name was ? and what if anything was fathers occupation on marriage cert?

Alyson.

Alyson. Report 3 Jan 2005 01:20

Hi Just looking at your request and Troedyrhiw is Lower Merthyr Tydfil. It is only about 2 or 3 miles from Merthyr tydfil town centre. Hope this helps. Merthyr Girl ALYSON

www.Siouxhealer

www.Siouxhealer Report 3 Jan 2005 11:11

Thanks for that Alyson. Mark, wow you have the details. Clever person :) I presume you have the discs for that area. Well it looks like Sarahs family didn't move about as they're at the same house, but my William Barnes is becomming a bit of a mystery. Father named Charles occupation stated as Contractor on Williams Marriage cert. I had always been led to believe that they were from Northumberland ..... methinks that the previous family research on that branch (which is about 20+ years old may well be incorrect!) I was going to see if I could find a suitable birth entry on 1837 but it's down at the moment. I don't have his birth cert. and it looks as though it may not be a walk in the park locating it either *sigh* another one who was artistic with the truth about his age!! Thanks for your help everyone Sioux

www.Siouxhealer

www.Siouxhealer Report 3 Jan 2005 12:08

Glen those photos are fantastic :) Thank you so much. Can you help point me in the right direction to find the correct entry in the 1891 census. I don't know if it's mistranscribed on Ancestry or I'm just going blind from too much searching ! Cheers Sioux

www.Siouxhealer

www.Siouxhealer Report 3 Jan 2005 12:51

Glen, Thank you, thank you , and thrice thank you. I've found them. If it hadn't been for your perserverance they probably would have remained hidden. I still can't see how it was transcribed as BAMER. When you look at it, it even looks like BARNES ! Well at least I know where he was born now. Thanks for your dedication and thanks to everyone else who's helped. Happy new year to you all Sioux

Smiley

Smiley Report 3 Jan 2005 12:54

Glad you've had some success Sioux, as for 1837, some seem to be manging to get into that site, but I cannot. It's driving me insane. Hope you find him Sam