Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adopted before 1926

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Inya

Inya Report 2 Jan 2005 15:55

Can anyone recommend how I find information on people who were 'adopted' before 'proper adoption' came into force in 1926. My great grand father is on the 1891 census aged 3. He is living with a family and in the colum for relationship to head it says 'nurse child'. On the 1901 census he is 13 and living with another family and is listed in the colum for relationship to head of family as adopted. As I understand it, adoption wasn't properly regulated untill 1926 so records are prooving really hard to come by. I've tried looking in the BMD indexes for the rough year he would have been born in but His name is William/ Willie Bennett, which is a rather common name. According to family legend he was in a 'home' at some point. Thanks in advance. Inya

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Jan 2005 16:01

Inya He may have been given a different name after birth, which is why you can't find his birth record. I think this is going to be a toughie as there were no formal adoption records then (and probably no informal ones either!). nell

John

John Report 3 Jan 2005 22:54

I also have this problem, and have found that the child was usually given up to a family member, and there are usually no records. Sometimes it was handled through the Parish Chuch. Adoption was legal through the Catholic Church. Good Luck Jack

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 3 Jan 2005 23:01

Hi Inya.. Someone put this up earlier today... http://www(.)hiddenlives(.)org(.)uk/homes/index(.)html Ive been looking at it...very interesting. Hope it helps. Gerri.