Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sutherlands&Leslies in Kirkwall for Linda M

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ellen

Ellen Report 1 Jan 2005 15:49

Linda Re your previous query on Margaret Leslie Sutherland, found these as the only Sutherlands and Leslie (Lesley) on the Kirkwall 1841 census: Sutherland Ann 15 Straw Plaiter Victoria Street Sutherland Christian 25 Straw Plaiter Wellington Street Sutherland Elizabeth 12 Straw Plaiter Victoria Street Sutherland Jane 20 Female Servant Bridge Street Sutherland Jessie 20 Female Servant Bridge Street Sutherland Margaret 20 Bonnet Maker Victoria Street Sutherland Mary 45 Stocking Knitter Victoria Street Sutherland Mary 20 Straw Plaiter Victoria Street Sutherland Paterson 35 Agricultural Labourer Saint Ola Leslie Barbara 45 Seaman's wife Cathpeace Place Lesley Barbara 25 Saint Ola Lesley Margaret 80 Pauper Saint Ola Lesley Mary 9 Saint Ola Lesley Sinclair 2 Saint Ola Lesley William 40 Farmer Saint Ola Lesley William 8 Saint Ola Sorry forgot to look for Franklin. You can look them up on www(.)freesurnamesearch(.)com/search/uk/scotland scroll down looking for Orkney, then Kirkwall. Hope this is of some use to you. All the best for a happy, healthy and wealthy 2005. Ellen.

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 1 Jan 2005 16:05

Hi there Ellen I too have Orkney Sutherlands. I was wondering of you are familiar with this site which has been very helpful to me for all of my Orkney names. www.cursiter.*com remember to remove the * Hope it's useful for you Christine

Ellen

Ellen Report 1 Jan 2005 16:19

Thanks Christine To date all of my Sutherlands are mainlanders (Durness), but Linda was asking about Kirkwall ones. Thanks for the new site though - I may yet need it. Happy New Year to you. Must go, I can smell the turkey is almost ready! Cheers Ellen.

Linda

Linda Report 2 Jan 2005 12:05

Thanks Ellen and Christine....I've really hit a brick wall in my search so appreciate any suggestions. Thanks very much to both of you. And thanks Ellen for posting this thread, Linda xx