Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Queen Victoria on the I.O.W.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Queenie

Queenie Report 1 Jan 2005 12:20

Im pretty sure Victoria was on the Island in 1861 after Albert died but was it before or after the census? Does anyone know when she left. Hoping it might all fit in with ancestors moving from London to the Island and back. Tried Google just says 1861 and no return year. Happy New Year Mandie

Geoff

Geoff Report 1 Jan 2005 12:31

Albert died in December 1861, some months after the census.

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Jan 2005 15:19

Queen Victoria lived in Osborn House on the IOW and I believe she did stay there and at Windsor a lot in widowhood, as well as Balmoral. I am sure your local library will have a biography (or several) of her with details of her movements. According to this site: http://www*.tourist-information-uk*.com/osborne-house*.htm remove * to use, Victoria spent much of her life there after Albert's death. nell

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Jan 2005 15:22

Mandie As to your relatives, if they were servants of Queen V., they may have been permanently employed at the house, or have been personal servants, in which case they would follow her. nell

VIVinHERTS

VIVinHERTS Report 1 Jan 2005 15:43

Barton Manor (next to Osbourne) was owned and occupied by the Royal Family. I think the Prince of Wales may have lived there when the others were in residence at Osbourne. The manor is now a vineyard. Viv