Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

helppp

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

George

George Report 31 Dec 2004 14:15

see down

George

George Report 31 Dec 2004 14:16

Found out today that my gg gran Ellen O'hanlon nee Daly had a sister name unknown who died quite young leaving two children Margaret & Barney, Margaret was taken in by her aunt Annie Pattison who resided in South Shields and Barney went to live with a cousin in Ireland. Have found Annie & family in 1901 but there was no young Margaret with them. Cos I don't know the mums name or even the kids surname I am struggling to find them in 1901 or in Birth/Marriage indexes, I'm not even completely sure if the children were left orphaned in England or Ireland, am guessing England because Margaret went to Annie who lived in England, am completely stuck. Any ideas?

Karen

Karen Report 31 Dec 2004 14:36

George Do you have any indication about potential timeframe or possible location - Was the sister older or younger than your gg gran? - If you do not know can you advise as to when your gg gran was born so that we can narrow the search down a bit? Would the sister have been born in England or Ireland? Were there any strange circumstances surrounding the death e.g. an accident which might have been reported in a local newspaper? If you provide as much info as possible I am sure that some of us would like a new challenge as opposed to bashing our heads against our own brickwalls! Karen

George

George Report 31 Dec 2004 15:06

What I know is that Ellen was born c1860 in Ireland but moved with new hubby to England in 1879ish, no idea when Annie came over though she was born in Ireland in 1867 but unlike Ellen she was married in England. Have tried hunting for Annie in 1881 & 1891 but theres too many possibles. They had a brother John who remained in Ireland and never married, no idea of his birth year. In 1881 cen there was a child living with Ellen & hubby called Bridget Daly, 9, relative, b Ireland, but can find no trace after 1881 of her. I am guessing Barney & Margarets mother was younger than Ellen. Am wondering if this is an impossible search at the moment )~:

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 Dec 2004 15:13

George What was your source for Margaret & Barney's existence? I think this is a tough call as the records relating to their mother and quite possibly to them may be in Ireland. How sad that they were separated - I suppose taking on two extra children would be a tough call - and I also wonder what happened to their dad? nell

George

George Report 31 Dec 2004 15:22

The source was a newly discovered Irish relative, the letter came this morning, my grandma has never mentioned the names to me, Im hoping when my mums tells her it might bring a vague memory back :~)

Karen

Karen Report 31 Dec 2004 16:57

George Any ideas of where in Ireland the birth of the sister could have taken place? Also do you have the names of your gg grandmothers parents? Karen

George

George Report 31 Dec 2004 17:01

possibly Mullaghbawn in Armagh, The names of the parents of Ellen, Annie, John etc are'nt known yet

Karen

Karen Report 31 Dec 2004 17:34

George Have you tried the following website yet (remove the brackets): https://www(.)irishgenealogy(.)ie/csi/csi.cfm?CountyID=2 Looks like the Armagh centre have a number of records for Daly's including one for an Ann in 1867 and 2 Ellen's (1860 and 1863)- maybe they could do a search for you and see if any of these records have the same parents and then extend a search to locate the missing sister. I assume there would be a fee involved. Whilst I haven't used Armagh Ancestor services I have used South Mayo and Leitrim services. Both of whom provided me with a copy of the irish certificate (for a reasonable fee) within 10 days of the request. The South Mayo one also extended the search without being asked to, to see if there was a potential marriage. Best of Luck. With kind regards Karen

George

George Report 2 Jan 2005 17:56

Thanks for the suggestions, going to write back to my new rellie and see if I can elicit more info from her about Barney and his sister. I'll keep trying 1901 too but its like looking for a needle in a haystack without the surname or birthplace. )~: George

George

George Report 16 Jan 2005 00:05

got a slight lead in that my grandma now remembers meeting a rellie called Barney when she visited Ireland aged 16, and she thinks his surname was Cunningham but I still can't find him in 1901 grrrrrrrrrr

George

George Report 7 Feb 2005 22:52

Well I now know that Barney and Margarets surname was Murchin, am having no luck finding a Daly-Murchin marriage in England though nor any trace on our census. Also discovered that my gg gran had a brother Michael Daly who had at least 2 daughters Lena & Kathleen, found a birth in 1901 & 1902 in Chorlton,Lancs but no fitting marriage for Michael grrrrrrrrrrrr