Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

besselo this to me is impossible does anyone want

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynne

Lynne Report 31 Dec 2004 11:45

i am trying to find out about my ggrandfather carlo besselo all that i know about him is that he came from the lake como area in italy he came over to the uk i think in 1886 working on a ship as a shipsdonkeyman he met my ggrandmother mary elizabeth perry they married in the parish of st john the babtist cardiff in 1887 they lived in penarth glamorgan 2 years later they had my grandmother olivetta 5 years later he disappeared no one knows where he might have gone back to italy anyone know how i start this journey all i have is acopy of the marriage certificate and what my father has told me he was 36 when they married in 1887

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 Dec 2004 12:06

Lynne I've had a look on ancestry and I can't find anything that even comes close to that surname. There's a couple of men on the 1901 census listed as Italian but they're in London and the surname doesn't match up. Does it give any more information on the marriage cert? How old does it say both Carlo and Mary Elizabeth are on the marriage cert? There doesn't even seem to be a birth entry for Olivetta for the area you stated Lou

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 Dec 2004 12:17

Lynne I'm assuming this is Olivetta's marriage to one of these people Besselo Olivetta Newport M 11a 407 MOYLON George Henry Newport M 11a 407 SHOPLAND Rose Eva Newport M 11a 407 WEARE Arthur George Newport, M. 11a 407 Lou

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 Dec 2004 12:22

Christina More than I could find! I've had a PM from Lynne and although I've asked her to make sure she puts info requested on the thread so everyone can see it, she does say that on the marriage cert Carlo is 36, so that gives us a rough birth year of 1851 Lou

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 Dec 2004 12:29

Christine Another PM from Lynne. Wife could be Elizabeth Mary, not Mary Elizabeth. Technically they should be together in 1891 unless he'd left by then. Let's be strategic about this.... They married in 1887, Olivetta born 1889, he left 5 years later which is about 1894/5. But I can't find Carlo, the wife or the daughter on the 1891 Wales census even searching by surname! Lou

Crista

Crista Report 31 Dec 2004 12:31

Mary Elizabeth had another daughter: Bessolo, Margaret May 1897 December Cardiff (1837-1974) Glamorgan Monmouthshire 11a 426 Mary Elizabeth remarried: Bessalo, Mary Elizabeth 1903 September Cardiff (1837-1974) Glamorgan Monmouthshire 11a 705 Crista

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 Dec 2004 12:38

Anyone????!!!! Did the desertion rule exist back then or would she have to prove Carlo had died before she was able to re-marry? Lou

Crista

Crista Report 31 Dec 2004 12:39

Lou, No idea. Found them in 1891 but Mary and Olivette are without Carlos. Mary is still listed as married though. Crista

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 Dec 2004 12:46

So he could already have deserted her by that point or just be elsewhere for census night. Great! Lou

Lynne

Lynne Report 31 Dec 2004 12:53

details on the marriage certifacate when married april 22 1887 names carlo besselo mary elizabeth perry carlo 36 bachelor mary 25 spinster proffesion carlo ships donkeyman residence at time of marriage carlo moon terrace penarth mary 10 princess street penarth fathers name carlo besselo proffesion carrier fathers name frank perry deceased

Crista

Crista Report 31 Dec 2004 13:21

Lynne, Is any of this new to you or did you already have then in the censuses? What do you know about Margaret May? Crista

Lynne

Lynne Report 31 Dec 2004 13:51

what i know already is what my father has told me and copies of marriage and birth certificates my father is the son of olivetta the daughter of carlo what i know of mary elizabeth perry she was born 26 12 1862 to francis and margaret in st ives cornwall

Lynne

Lynne Report 31 Dec 2004 13:57

sorry put the wrong information i put information about carlos wife all i know about margaret may is she later emmigrated to australia i will have to ask my father more

Lynne

Lynne Report 31 Dec 2004 14:00

christa i have never come across any surname besselo the one you found born in austria could you let me have the info on him

Helen

Helen Report 31 Dec 2004 15:01

Stuck Carlo Besselo into search engine and came up with this which looked quite interesting Antonio Andrina and Lucia Sciacero Genealogy of Antonio Andrina and Lucia Sciacero. ... She married Carlo Giovanni Battista Besselo. in San Martino, Torino, Italy. ... www.pennyparker2.*com/andrina1.html unfortunately the link does not work but at least you know someone out there is researching the same name (and possibly the same person!)

Lynne

Lynne Report 2 Jan 2005 16:46

thanks helen i put carlo besselo into the serch engine like you suggested i have now sent email to that site and hope to here something soon thanks again

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 4 Jan 2005 23:00

Lynne & Christina Don't forget that a chunk of what is now NE Italy has sometimes been part of Austria. If there are any other clues about where in Austria they were born, you might find that the Austrian-born ones are relevant after all. Christine