Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to read a Birth Certificate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Greg

Greg Report 30 Dec 2004 20:07

Hello, I am trying to read an occupation from a birth certitificate. It is here: http://www.antiquark.org/images/family/FrancisEvanFISHWICKBC.JPG The occupation looks like some kind of fitter, but the first word looks like G?on fitter. The closest I can find is "gun fitter" but I am sure that there is an "o" not a "u". Anyone want to take a stab at decyphering? Cheers

Wendy

Wendy Report 30 Dec 2004 20:16

Looks like Iron Fitter to me too!!! Wendy x

Greg

Greg Report 30 Dec 2004 20:20

Fantastic! Thank you very much for your replies. I thought the first letter might be a "c" or "g" but never thought of an "i". Even looked from Gron fitter and Cron fitter ;)

Greg

Greg Report 30 Dec 2004 20:26

Can I be really, really greedy and ask if anyone can decode the mothers details here: http://www.antiquark.org/images/family/FrancisWilliamFISHWICKBC.jpg It looks like the name is Martha, and the maiden name looks like "Nogels"? Doesn't seem very common or likely. It also looks like "deceased" is scralled underneath.. Can anyone clarify this any futher? Cheers

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Dec 2004 20:32

Greg Def says deceased underneath which would indicate she died between giving birth and the birth being registered Lou

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Dec 2004 20:34

Greg This looks like her Name: Fishwick, Martha Record Type: Deaths Age at death: 33 Quarter: December Year: 1890 District: Fylde County: Lancashire Volume: 8e Page: 532 Lou

Peterkinz

Peterkinz Report 30 Dec 2004 20:35

Hi Greg 1) Looks like she died, he is a widower on the 1891 census. 2) Martha ROGERS (on the same page of marriages) Regards Peter, in New Zealand

Big Shaz

Big Shaz Report 30 Dec 2004 20:36

Def says Deceased underneath but I thought the maiden name was Rogels or maybe even just Rogel as this person seems to do a little tail at the end of a lot of words.. Also the first letter looks more like the R at the start of Registrar and not much like the N that is at the start of November... If you get what I mean... ha ha Shaz x

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Dec 2004 20:37

Greg ROGERS Marriage: FISHWICK, Francis 1889 June Fylde Lancashire 8e 1055 ROGERS, Martha 1889 June Fylde Lancashire 8e 1055 Lou

Greg

Greg Report 30 Dec 2004 20:39

Incredible. I can't believe you all managed to find that information out so quickly. I am almost speechless!! Thank you all very much. Cheers

Big Shaz

Big Shaz Report 30 Dec 2004 20:41

Wow... so I was right and it was an R after all .. :-) I'm getting good at this.. ha ha Mind you I have had a few to decipher of my own! Shaz x

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 30 Dec 2004 22:55

If you want the cert and don't want the long wait from GRO, you could follow up the Lancs BMD (http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk) info: Lancashire Marriage indexes for the years: 1889 Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Church / Register Office Registers At Reference FISHWICK Francis ROGERS Martha Old Fylde Blackpool OFY/16/12 The fees are the same as GRO; the local ref "OFY/16/12" on the site acts as a link to a part-completed application form. My experience (echoed by a number of others on this site) is that if local offices offer such a service it's usually at least as good as GRO. They also have the source data from which the GRO makes quarterly transcriptions. Christine