Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Knoydart Roman Catholic Chapel Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 30 Dec 2004 00:45

From my great great grandmother's birth certificate I know that my great great great grandparents married on 24th January 1846 at Knoydart Roman Catholic Chapel. I have looked at Scottish Archives Network catalogue but I can't find anything to indicate where the records are held. How would I be able to find this out? and What information is usually recorded in a Roman Catholic marriage register? I was also wondering where exactly Knoydart is as I haven't been able to find it on a map. Thank you for your help, Lucia :-)

Slinky

Slinky Report 30 Dec 2004 00:55

Could have been a Hamlet or Village that no longer exists. Try looking at old maps of that era Lucia...sorry I can't help further.

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 30 Dec 2004 00:58

Thanks Anne, I'll have a look at old maps, Lucia :-)

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 30 Dec 2004 01:01

Lucia the only part of your question i can answer is where Knoydart is. If you look at the West Highland coast of Scotland and find Mallaig (just accross from Skye) Above Mallaig is Loch Nevis then the penninsula above that is Knoydart. It is one of the most beautiful areas of Scotland and covers quite a large area. I think quite a lot of it is only accessible by boat Christine

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 30 Dec 2004 01:09

Found this Lucia MALLAIG ST COLUMBA'S AND KNOYDART Minister: Rev Ben Johnstone - Tel 01687 462 256 Services: 11am and 6pm (Evening Service in Hall) The Parish consists of Mallaig, Morar, the Knoydart Peninsula and the island of Canna. A Wednesday lunchtime service fortnightly is held at Inverie (Knoydart). There is a Church library in the Church hall. Sunday School meets at 11am on a Sunday and a Creche is available for under 3's. A meeting for Bible Study and prayer is held in the Church hall on a Saturday at 7.30pm You could perhaps give them a call and see if they can help ----------------------------------------------------------------------- KILCHOAN, INVERIE, KNOYDART There are two ancient graveyards here. One of them is thought to contain the remains of a church founded by St Comhghan. The graveyard nearer the Inverie River contains two 5-7th century early-Christian grave markers. In the other there is a free-standing carved cross which was probabiy taken here from its original location. Day trips from Mallaig -------------------------------------------------------------------- Hope thats helpful Christine

Martin

Martin Report 30 Dec 2004 01:59

I think the church is in Inverie but comes under the church in Morar. It is quite a remote area with no access by road. http://www.knoydart-foundation.*com Martin Fort William PS I notice from the message above that it is part of the Mallaig parish.

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 30 Dec 2004 02:10

Martin that's my favourite church ever, St Cummins at Morar. Been to it loads of times. Christine

Martin

Martin Report 30 Dec 2004 10:38

I took a photograph of it a couple of week's ago for Steve Bulman's website. I was not very impressed by the outside of the Morar church but might be different inside and of course it has a beautiful background. I liked the little Church of Scotland church in Arisaig, just the size of it made it fit in with the village really well. I always like finding ones like the CoS one in Lochailort to photograph - tin hut! http://www.stevebulman.f9.*co.uk/churches/index.html (I have not sent those pictures down yet) Martin