Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

names and ages

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 29 Dec 2004 21:13

I have my family dating from...1881,1891 and 1901..... names are the same but the ages dont all age exactly 10years. Is the usual? or have I got familys mixed up with same names? Theres a difference on some of the names of two to three years. Mrs confussed Gerri.

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 29 Dec 2004 21:17

people weren't as fussy as we are over ages etc, so to be a few yrs out is quite normal. People also lied about their age, for example if a lady was older than her husband she may knocka few yrs off or vica versa. If other details tie in then theres a goood chance you've got the right ones

Wendy

Wendy Report 29 Dec 2004 23:09

Provided that you are absolutely sure of the family, there is no surprise that ages change. I traced my Shipley family back starting with my mother's birth cert, and collecting certs at each step of the way until I arrived at William who married Harriet Rimington in 1841. The censuses gave his p.o.b. South Shields, so parish records were searched to find his baptism in 1811, parents Thomas and jane. I could then find other children b. to Thomas and Jane, one of whom was Joseph, bap. 1823. I have traced him; In 1841 he is 20, in 1851 he is 30, in 1861 he is 38, in 1881 he is 57, in 1891 he is 68, in 1901 he is 79. His death cert in 1906 says he is 82. I know I have the same man because I have his marriages [with certs] and his children. I think that I am trying to say---don't worry too much if the ages change a little, but do be sure in other ways that you have the right person.

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 29 Dec 2004 23:17

Thanks Wendy. In my 'Ford' family there were quite a few children and all the names/ages match but all have the same age differences (wrong or right)....I'll never lie about my age again!!!! lol Im 30..born 1949...oops!.....lol Gerri.