Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

abreviations!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 29 Dec 2004 19:38

fiche?????? and GRO????.... c.mon you profeesional lot! Give a dummy a clue? The dummy newbie Gerri xx

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 29 Dec 2004 19:39

FRC???? LMA????

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 29 Dec 2004 19:45

A huge thankyou Yvonne. We all have to learn! Gerri x

VIVinHERTS

VIVinHERTS Report 29 Dec 2004 19:46

Sorry Gerri, Was it me? London Metropolitan Archives and Family Records Centre Viv

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 29 Dec 2004 19:47

No Viv...not just you hun...you ALL do it lol

Geoff

Geoff Report 29 Dec 2004 19:48

Fiche - a sheet of plastic about 6" by 4", containing micro-sized copies of about 50 pages of text. Can only really be read using a microfiche reader. Some fiche readers allow you to make a copy of a page of text.

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 29 Dec 2004 19:51

Thanks everyone:))) At this rate I'll soon look as clever as you lot lol(Iwish!)

Helen

Helen Report 29 Dec 2004 19:56

and your homework tonight Gerry is IGI, LDS and BMD :-) There will be a test tomorrow:-)

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 29 Dec 2004 20:02

Angela... Do you like apples? lol

Carole

Carole Report 30 Dec 2004 12:53

No getting out of it with bribery Gerri - teacher is still waiting for her answer! LOL! (oops there's another one) The company I work for uses so many acronyms, it actually has a web-page devoted to them, so new employees can understand what the hell everyone is talking about! Carole

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 30 Dec 2004 13:01

I've been at this 3 years now Geri but I have an abbreviation I would like explaining. WFT - It usually appears on websites like Gencircles. It will say something like George Bloggs Birth 24 Feb 1839 Death Wft Est 1840-1929 Anybody know what it means? Jeanette x

Geoff

Geoff Report 30 Dec 2004 14:21

WFT is an abbreviation for a data source eg- Abbreviation: World Family Tree Vol. 10, Ed. 1 Title: World Family Tree Vol. 10, Ed. 1 Author: Brøderbund Software, Inc. Publication: Release date: May 6, 1997

Martin

Martin Report 30 Dec 2004 14:42

I have no problem with proper abbreviations. You soon get used to them and don't want to have to write out the common ones in full every time - IGI, BMD etc. It does not take much effort to look them up either through a web search or on a family history site. At least they are much better than the horrible text message abbreviations that are appearing everywhere! I don't even use them when sending SMSs on the mobile phone never mind in normal use on the PC. Martin