Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Probably a very silly question!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue

Sue Report 29 Dec 2004 16:59

I have not yet ventured to a records office and therefore have no idea what I can find out there! I have several GRO references relating to various family members but do not necessarily want to order certificates for them. If I go to a records office what information can I actually see? Thanks Sue

Anne

Anne Report 29 Dec 2004 17:05

At the records office the usual things you look at are the Parish Records which have been deposited there for safekeeping. In them you should be able to find Baptisms (not births), Marriages, and Burials (not deaths). The parish record for a marriage since 1837 is just like the certificate information. However the baptisms and burials do not contain as much information as birth and death certificates. Finally - the records office may not have recent records. Perhaps not since 1900 at a guess. The GRO references will not help at the records office. Anne

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 29 Dec 2004 18:46

GRO references mean nothing except to the GRO. You will not be able to look at certificates anywhere unless you buy them. Obviously the RO will only have records for their county but they will have a website and an online catalogue you can search. Note the format in case you need to book fiche readers, etc. Many also have leaflets on family history, some of which are online.