Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

LMA is closed and I'm fed up!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

VIVinHERTS

VIVinHERTS Report 29 Dec 2004 14:11

Just having a little rant..... The London Metropolitan Archives is closed from 3.00pm Friday 24th December untill 9.30am Tuesday 4th January. I need to search the parish records for a specific church in Dalston for my dad's christening and possibly his sister. When I have done that I can go to the FRC and look for the the corresponding BMD's. The FRC is open untill Friday, why can't the LMA open as well? Boohoo! I'm miffed as I go back to work on the 4th and as I work Monday to Friday I don't know when I'll be able to go the LMA. I need to know what Saturdays they are open (not many) so that I can go at the first available opportunity. Rant over... Viv

Miriam

Miriam Report 29 Dec 2004 14:31

Hello, Just thought I could help by suggesting that you contact the church vicar directly if the church is still open. They may still ahve the original records at the church or at the head office of the denomination. Some vicars will let you look if you have pre-arranged a time and date so Saturday's or some evenings may not be a problem. Some minister are very helpful and may send you a photocopy if you have approximate dates. Just an avenue that could be tried. Yours faithfully Miriam Abbott

VIVinHERTS

VIVinHERTS Report 29 Dec 2004 19:35

Miriam, The church was closed due to bomb damage in WWII and pulled down in 1953 and not rebuilt. (St. Philip's, Richmond Road, Dalston) The Parish Registers are on micro film at the LMA and now I know where to look I'm impatient! Thanks for the advice though, if it were still standing I would have been round there knocking on the door very loudly!!! Viv

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 29 Dec 2004 23:10

Hiya Viv the LMA saturdays openings are as follows.. Saturday opening LMA will open on the following Saturdays from 9.30am - 4.45pm 2005 8 January 22 January 12 February 26 February 12 March 9 April 23 April 14 May 11 June 25 June 9 July 23 July 13 August 10 September 24 September 8 October 22 October 26 November 10 December So you'll have to keep 8th January free LOL Shelli

VIVinHERTS

VIVinHERTS Report 30 Dec 2004 11:22

Thanks for that Shelli, got your message. See you at the 12th February meet in London? Cheers Viv

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 30 Dec 2004 12:43

VIv yes hope to be there and look the LMA is even open LOL