Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

If anyone is bored! 1871 look up please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Heather

Heather Report 27 Dec 2004 23:15

If anyone is bored and has got to the last layer of too chewey sweets in their tin of Roses, be grateful if you could have a quick look for a John Thomas Martin born Bermondsey (though he alternates with Southwark or Newington) in 1855 - he would be about 16 years old in the 1871. He was married and living at Lant Street, Southwark in the 1881. I have him in the 1881, 1891 and 1901 and his death in 1902. Many thanks. Ill just have another sort through that layer of Roses, you never know a soft caramel may be in there somewhere.

Smiley

Smiley Report 27 Dec 2004 23:43

Hi Do you know who he is likely to be with? i.e. His parents names, if you have them. Also, what about his profession?

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 27 Dec 2004 23:50

This could be him. Transcribed as Marton but looks like Martin on the image. Born in Bermondsey. Occupation Brass Finisher: Source information: RG10/628 Registration district: St Olave Southwark Sub-registration district: Leather Market ED, institution, or vessel: 9 Folio: 113 Page: 6 Household schedule number: 23 Edwin Marton 10 London, England Son St Mary Magdalen Bermondsey London Ellen Marton 42 London, England Wife St Mary Magdalen Bermondsey London George Marton 5 Son St Mary Magdalen Bermondsey London John T Marton 16 London, England Son St Mary Magdalen Bermondsey London Mary J Marton 17 London, England Daughter St Mary Magdalen Bermondsey London William Marton 56 Devon, England Head St Mary Magdalen Bermondsey London William Marton 18 London, England Son St Mary Magdalen Bermondsey London

Heather

Heather Report 28 Dec 2004 10:11

Many many thanks guys. Richard, that must be him. I just dont know how you do it. I couldnt find him after trawling for two hours through all the 16 year old Martins and variations. I had put more details on my other posting and had added he worked with brass in some capacity or other. Thanks so much everyone!!