Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Foots Cray, Kent

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda & Tim

Linda & Tim Report 27 Dec 2004 13:50

Is any familiar with Granville Road, Foots Cray? I've just received a birth certificate (dated 1909) which gives the place of birth as Fishbourne, Granville Road, Foots Cray. Fishbourne was the maiden name of the baby's father's mother(!) so I'm wondering if he named the house after her? But I believe Fishbourne may also be a suburb of Sidcup? Can anyone enlighten me please?

Linda & Tim

Linda & Tim Report 27 Dec 2004 14:03

Thanks Tony! However, this begs the question... does anyone know if there is STILL a house in Granville Road, Foots Cray which is called 'Fishbourne'?

Wendy

Wendy Report 27 Dec 2004 14:05

Just checked my A-Z and there is a Granville Road in Sidcup, which is very near Footscray. Hope this helps. Wendy

Linda & Tim

Linda & Tim Report 28 Dec 2004 12:45

Hi Theresa Thanks! I know the Post Office HATES houses with names instead of numbers - and, of course, new owners often change the house names to something meaningful for themselves. At least we seem to have more or less confirmed that 'Fishbourne' was probably the name of the house rather than a suburb of Sidcup. All of this relates to the infamous Walter Hastings Cavour Hungerford who you, and many others, have helped me try and trace during the past year. It now seems that he didn't die in France in 1917 as his widow had maintained - but he died in Hammersmith in 1945... having had two further marriages!! However, we are still trying to obtain a birth certificate for his Cork birth in 1876! I don't envy your Irish research. We've got enough on our plate with just Walter, his siblings, his parents and their parents and their parents.....! Best wishes, Linda