Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Add Blocking

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 26 Dec 2004 11:26

Have added this from GEN board as it may help see below

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 26 Dec 2004 11:27

There are various ways of blocking adds, depending of your system. These adds not only slow down your system they are also a potential route to malware/viruses etc. There are two main flashers types macromedia flash and animated gifs In Internet explorer tools/options/advanced make sure "play animations in web pages" is unchecked. If using SP2 Macromedia Flash can be disabled in Tools/manage add-ons. The only solution in SP1 appears to be third party or remove MF. Spyware Blaster has a "Kill Bit" in tools. A little known method even amongst experts is to use the "HOSTS" file. this does not use any software but uses windows itself. This is very effective and safe, you can delete/rename the HOSTS file with no problem. However it does block ads, banners, cookies, web bugs, and even most hijackers!! THIS IS ONE OF THE MOST EFFECTIVE TIPS I KNOW OF! You can even block any site you want (stop kids going on e bay or whatever} Have a look here for an explanation http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm My tip of the year! (along with CCleaner) I use Firefox most of the time as this can block adds itself (only use IE for the odd site) but most people seem wary of trying something different. Bob