Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Its Christmas Day and I need a Computer expert!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Heather

Heather Report 25 Dec 2004 18:32

Hi, off subject but I bought son a mini I-pod for Chrissie and guess what, my Windows ME doesnt support it. Apparently it needs at least Win 2000 SP4 or XP. Can anyone advise a way round this PLEASE. I am quite desperate, as you can imagine, sitting on here today! Hope you all had a peaceful day!

Jools

Jools Report 25 Dec 2004 19:09

Heather - afraid to tell you this but I think you're stuffed - sorry. If the I Pod wants Win 2K or XP then you can do nothing other than upgrade the operating system on your computer from ME to XP. And if you're not "into" computers, I wouldn't advise attempting this yourself. Sorry :(((

Heather

Heather Report 25 Dec 2004 19:35

I wonder how many poor b****ers are sitting at home today feeling the same! I mean all the kids were crazing for these things but there was no mention they only worked on certain Windows, was there. It is in very small print on the box - all the ads said windows compatible. Oh well, trip to PC World tomorrow then. (After watching the local hunt go off for probably last time). Merry christmas

Val

Val Report 25 Dec 2004 20:42

Only way round it is to go on I POD website and get windows EM driver then active sync from microsoft

Val

Val Report 25 Dec 2004 22:44

hope you get message

Heather

Heather Report 26 Dec 2004 00:22

Val, thats really kind of you but we have tried that options several times today and it just keeps closing the pc down because of an error. I am wondering whether I should get an upgrade to XP - does hubby know where I could download that from and will it cause me any problems with the stuff on my pc please?

Irene

Irene Report 26 Dec 2004 01:33

If you do down load XP make sure you save your emails and other i.e. Doc, just in case. My brother did this and now can't find his old emails. What ever you do have fun Hope Christmas was happy and have a good new year. Irene

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 26 Dec 2004 12:09

XP won't cause you any problems but it will replace everything on your PC. You'll lose all your settings and everything you've saved from Word documents to emails. Save everything you want to keep to disc before you install XP and then put it all back on. If you do get stuck, try the Microsoft website.

Heather

Heather Report 26 Dec 2004 17:50

Many thanks guys for the kind advice. Valerie, very many thanks to you for your private emails. I have been to PC World today and their stand still says the IPODS are "compatible with windows and macs". No defination of what windows and I did complain. I was told they had already put XP on two systems that day for the same reason - at £200 a go!!! What a con. The update program was nearly a hundred quid. I am not sure what to do now, so may give son the option of buying himself a computer from Mesh and paying me back weekly from his wages. I was told by the "expert" at PC World that I could not download anyone elses XP as it would not initialise or something and would be illegal!!! And misleading adverts arent??

Christine2

Christine2 Report 26 Dec 2004 18:21

Heather I have e-mailed you. Chrissie

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 26 Dec 2004 18:38

Take back the Ipod and get another that is compatible. Another brand is Creative, which I know works with Windows 98, and there must be others.

Heather

Heather Report 26 Dec 2004 20:54

Many thanks Twinkle. I had thought about that, although son has already managed to wipe its memory as he connected it to our pc which as you know had the wrong software! I have been looking at IPOD problem websites and it seems there is a lot of disgruntled parents and unhappy kids out there with the same problem!

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 27 Dec 2004 10:11

Sent you a reply re XP installation. I'm surprsised that ME not supported. Windows in theory is anything from 1981 on!! Twinkle is right although I PODS are the "fashionable" ones there are others just as good. On new systems even the cheapest base units can do anything normal users need to. You don't need to spend a fortune Bob