Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finding a phone number ... ideas please?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Dec 2004 23:01

I am trying to trace a near relative to inform them of their father's death. I think I have the right address, so I could write to them in the hope it's the right person, but we were hoping to ring them. There is no phone number under BT - is there online directories for any of the other phone companies? Many thanks, Mandy :)

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Dec 2004 23:01

Mandy I don't think so. We're with NTL and I know they dont publish a directory It's also possible they're with BT but have chosen to be ex-directory Lou

Crista

Crista Report 22 Dec 2004 23:49

Mandy, If it's not on BT then they are ex-directory. I think only 30% of phone numbers are published. Crista

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 23 Dec 2004 00:01

NTL numbers are published in the BT books

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Dec 2004 00:46

Sheila My number isn't in the phone book and nor is my brother's and we're both with NTL. I was never asked whether I wanted to be ex-directory Lou

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 23 Dec 2004 00:52

Maybe it's just down here then Lou. They asked us a few years ago when we changed over.(when it was called Nynex) Mind you with all the people in Brighton using NTL it would be a very thin book if it was just BT customers lol

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Dec 2004 01:07

Sheila We only got it for the cable TV option and that's naff at the best of times! Lou

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 23 Dec 2004 01:12

I agree 30+ channels of crud instead of just 4

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Dec 2004 09:11

Many thanks for your help everyone. Barry, we are a bit nervous about getting the police to call round as there's a tiny chance we might not have the right person. We were hoping to make a 'vague' phone call! But thanks for the info. KB, I've now looked on b4usearch - silly me, I've used this before and didn't think of it this time! But still no phone number. Julie, thanks for your kind offer too. I've got neighbours' details now from b4usearch, so we might try that. Thanks again, Mandy :)

NicolaDunbyNocula

NicolaDunbyNocula Report 23 Dec 2004 10:15

There is a possibility that even though they are not in the phone book you might still be able to get their telephone number off directory inquiries. I am ex-directory as I asked to be when we first went on the phone, well at least I thought I was. Until a friend phoned directory inquiries and asked for my telephone number and they gave it to her. When I phoned them they said that I was just not in the phone book but people could still get my telephone number if they ring up. Nicola xx

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Dec 2004 10:24

Thanks Nicola, I will try that as well then. Mandy :)