Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Parish Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 22 Dec 2004 13:39

Are there any records held online? I'm gonna struggle getting to some of the local areas my family visited over the last 200 years. I'd like to be able to get back further, but have no idea how I will without taking a year off work lol

Anne

Anne Report 22 Dec 2004 15:03

Why not try joining the Family History Society local to the area in question. It is less than £10 for a year's membership and they often have transcribed records for sale to members only. There's also the possiblity of ;local knowledge and lookups as well as contacts with people looking for your names. Anne

BrianW

BrianW Report 22 Dec 2004 15:29

You might be lucky and find that some of the records have been transcribed on the Latter Day Saints site.

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Dec 2004 15:33

Latter Day Saints site is www.familysearch.org - the parish records it holds are mainly baptisms and marriages - you can google "Hugh Wallis batch numbers" to find a site which will tell you which parishes and years are covered and do a search from there. BUT REMEMBER mistakes occur and it is always best if you can to check the original parish records. These are held on microfilm at county records offices - I've found that lots of stuff has been mistranscribed or missed off on the LDS site. nell

Wendy

Wendy Report 22 Dec 2004 18:23

The LDS site has a searchable catalogue of films they have of actual parish records. You cannot view them online, but you can order them at your nearest LDS centre for a nominal fee. When they arrive at the centre, you go and view them there. The website also shows where the LDS centres are-there should be one fairly near you.

maryjane-sue

maryjane-sue Report 23 Dec 2004 01:15

Assuming you need Yorkshire records and depending where - the Huddersfield Family History site has quite a few Parish Records available to buy.

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Dec 2004 01:42

Tracy Which parishes are you needing look-ups at? If you post the details maybe some of us can help Lou

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 23 Dec 2004 08:25

Thanks everyone :) Lou, I need Worsborough, Barnsley, Huddersfield, Cleckheaton, Middlesbrough, Darlington and Gateshead. (the last 3 I should be able to get to though) I also need Tipton and Cheadle (Staffs) and maybe Leeds.

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 23 Dec 2004 08:28

Susan - thanks for that. I should be able to get some stuff from that site :)

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Dec 2004 12:18

Tracy Can do Barnsley and Huddersfield for you if you don't mind waiting a few weeks till I'm more organised (moving house with 2 children under 3!). Both are less than half an hour from me by car Lou

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 30 Dec 2004 12:25

Not forgetting familyhistoryonline.net, but do check the coverage before you buy.

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 30 Dec 2004 12:28

If you contact a local archives they might have a research service. When I contacted a records office by e-mail they were able to lookup something for free if I knew the exact date. Lucia :-)

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 30 Dec 2004 12:34

Lou - that would be fantastic :) Let me know when you're going and I'll mail you the details. Lucia - I'll check that out. If I can ever find the records office up here, that is lol (I went looking for it yesterday and wandered round town for half an hour without success lol)

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Dec 2004 17:59

Tracy Will send you my e-mail addie. Let me know what you're looking for and I can print it off and take it with me. Huddersfield has fab shops so always looking for an excuse to go and this makes it quite justified to the other half (I'll just invent some rellies who've appeared in Yorkshire!). It'll probably be a couple of weeks till I can get over so hope that's ok. Does anyone actually know WHERE in Hudds you can find these records? Knowing where I'm going (in relation to the shopping centre!) might prove useful!!! Lou

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 31 Dec 2004 07:55

Lou, I think they're held at the main library - opposite Dorothy Perkins and Etam (if I remember correctly lol)

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 Dec 2004 11:11

That's good enough for me! Will send you my e mail addie now, forgot yesterday! Lou