Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sugar lumps! Blast! Rats!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Trudy

Trudy Report 21 Dec 2004 16:45

Have just discovered that I think I have been chasing the wrong line of Smalls!!! after several weeks and 5 generations! My grandfather Robert John was born in 1901, I thought in Kettering but I couldn't find him on the census, knew he was one of eight, found Smalls with 7 children, last one born 1900 and asumed (now I know better!) that this must be them - but suddenly have managed to find a one year old (could this be him?) born in Rushden with a father John and a mother Frances Mary (my mothers middle name was Frances and my aunts is Mary - this makes me suspicious that I have been chasing rainbows on the other line). My question is this would now make my grandfather the oldest of eight children, as there are no censuses available after 1901 is there a way I can find other children for this couple to try and confirm that I am looking at the right ones? Any help gratefully received. Thanks Trudy

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Dec 2004 16:50

Trudy How embarrassing to lose your smalls!!! I think before you get any more entangled you need your grandfather's birth cert which will confirm his parents names and you can then look a) for them on the census b) for births of other children to them in the GRO indexes. If any were born after 1911 they will be indexed under the mother's maiden name too (on grandfather's birth cert). nell

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Dec 2004 16:52

Found these possibles: Name: Small, Robert John Record Type: Births Quarter: March Year: 1900 District: Wellingborough County: Bedfordshire Northamptonshire Volume: 3b Page: 146 Name: Small, Robert John Record Type: Births Quarter: September Year: 1901 District: Romford County: Essex Volume: 4a Page: 585 nell

Trudy

Trudy Report 21 Dec 2004 17:09

Thanks guys!! I feel better now I have vented my feelings - I think the problem stems from the fact that the first one you have found Nell born 1900 is my grandfather, but I think he was always told it was a year later because his parents didn't marry until Dec qtr 1899 so he was obviously conceived out of wedlock - and that's why I've had trouble finding him - will order the cert and sort my 'smalls' out!!!! thanks anyway Trudy