Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help required: Occupation: Sick Attendant Royal Na

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Steve

Steve Report 20 Dec 2004 19:32

One of my relatives on 1871 census night was in the Royal Naval Hospital in Plymouth as a sick attendant, I'm at odds to who he worked for, I don't exactly understand. I suppose he worked in the Royal Navy of some kind. Anyone have any ideas

Peter

Peter Report 20 Dec 2004 19:53

Was the job on the census, as it seems wrong to me. If he was in the navy he would be called an ORDERLY, and as a civvy he would of been a medic or some thing simaler, as Nurse was (THEN )A FEMALE job. Could it be a miss scribe or is it just me?

Steve

Steve Report 20 Dec 2004 19:57

it was on the census..... on 1881 he is listed as Pensioner... seems like Royal Navy to me. Usually you are in the army or navy to be called a Pensioner, a Greenwich Pensioner. Greenwich Hospital in Greenwich I believe. Only naval people are called Greenwich Pensioners. If only I could see 1861 census and find him on that.

Nantwich

Nantwich Report 20 Dec 2004 19:59

Hi Steve, The following might be useful to you http://www(.)webrarian(.)co(.)uk/stonehouse/index(.)html http://www(.)royal-navy(.)mod(.)uk/static/pages/3845(.)html Good luck!! Sarah

Janet

Janet Report 23 Dec 2004 15:10

Steve This will be Sick Berth Attendant in the Royal Navy and all the details of his time served in the RN will be at the National Archives. www.thenationalarchives.co.uk. Download their leaflet on Royal Navy. Back in the 1850's there was little or no training for this job. Sick Berth Attendant is usually the first ranking for those wanting to pursue this sort of medical career. The next one is Leading Sick Berth Attendant. Can progress to Chief Petty Officer. Many of the shore based establishments like HMS Vivid(renamed HMS Drake)/Royal Naval Hospital in Plymouth would have their own medical attendants. During World War 1 and WW 2 many served on Hospital Ships and Trains. Janet

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Dec 2004 16:51

Hi Steve - slightly off topic, but are you in Plymouth yourself? Only I'm a Plymouth girl and it's always nice to meet a fellow local! Mandy :)

Steve

Steve Report 26 Dec 2004 08:46

Yes, I am a resident Plymothian. All my paternal side of my family come from Plymouth and alot of them were in the Royal Navy. Steve

Scrummy

Scrummy Report 26 Dec 2004 11:08

there is a branch in the RN, called Sick Berth attendant, sea going as well as shore based