Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Prison records?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Diane

Diane Report 20 Dec 2004 12:18

Hi, Does anyone know how you go about researching prison records? I am not even sure he was in prison or where if he was, so its a long shot I know. Thanks for any info Di

Unknown

Unknown Report 20 Dec 2004 13:09

Di If you don't know where or when, unless he was a notorious murderer you are going to find it tough. I found some of my relatives in Gloucester gaol - the gaol register index is online at the record office website. They sent me photocopies of the entries for a few £ - it gives the date they were imprisoned, detailed description of their physical appearance, behaviour, crime and the outcome of the trial. Kew has lots of records of assizes, but its a bit of a complicated job to find stuff UNLESS YOU HAVE A DATE! Do you have any idea when/where - is this relative on a census anywhere for example? nell

Diane

Diane Report 20 Dec 2004 13:30

Nell, Thanks for your reply, I didn't think it would be easy. My problem is this: Thomas Doe b. approx 1849 London - marriage cert in 1868 states father as John (deceased) - but the only birth certs I've found are 1847 & 1849 both Poplar both to the same parents, Thomas Doe & Mary Stevens, assume first boy died in infancy. Have also found Thomas Doe jnr with wife & children on later census, also with parents Thomas & Jane!!!! One of the reasons I can think that Thomas jnr put father as John(deceased) on marriage cert was that maybe Thomas snr was in prison & son embarrassed! Only other reasons I can think of is that Thomas snr went away to war & was presumed dead (although this doesn't explain change of name) OR that father & son had fallen out, which I can't see how I'm going to find THAT out!! Any other suggestions gratefully received, have just tried finding them on 1861 look up on records board but nothing conclusive. Di