Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

MARRIAGE RECORDS - MARTHA HALSE???

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Juliana

Juliana Report 19 Dec 2004 23:07

Hiya, I have managed to trace my great great great grandmother, MARTHA HALSE (married name). However, can't seem to find any details on her husband or her family. She was born in 1867. Any ideas how I could find her marriage records, for access to her maiden name, thus her family??? Please help!!! Many thanks, Juliana

Heather

Heather Report 19 Dec 2004 23:10

How did you find her - on any census? If so, was her husband not there? What records have you found so far? Where was she born?

Juliana

Juliana Report 19 Dec 2004 23:13

She was on both the 1891 and 1901, but no hubby on there!!! Which is a bit strange as she had more children between 1891 and 1901, that carried the surname HALSE, would it be likely that she didnt actually have a husband and that HALSE was her maiden name??? Juliana

Heather

Heather Report 19 Dec 2004 23:17

Ive just had a look at the 1901. On it it says she is head but married. I see it is Cornwall - so possibly husband is at sea? Did you notice the nephew and niece living with her called Laity? This could possibly be her bros kids, in which case you would have her maiden name. You could check if a Laity married a Halse. In the 1891 she also has a visitor, Elizabeth Bowden aged 40 from Camborne, is this her mum or her aunt? Check out the Bowdens aswell. Otherwise you can send off for the birth cert of one of the kids and then you will see her maiden name, the father and his occupation and you can then get the marriage cert which will show both of their fathers.

Kazzie

Kazzie Report 20 Dec 2004 00:09

In 1901 alot of men was away serving in the Boar war so wouldn;t show up on census I think there is somewhere where to u can check if were away at time but not sure where good luck with your search Karin

Juliana

Juliana Report 20 Dec 2004 11:07

Thank you so much for all your help on finding MARTHA HALSE, it really has been amazing and is much appreciated!! Juliana

Heather

Heather Report 20 Dec 2004 11:25

That should be their marriage as I believe I noticed a George as a son? Also, do check out the Laity's as they may be her sisters kids, so you will get more info re the whole extended family.