Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage cert query

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Bluesavannah

Bluesavannah Report 19 Dec 2004 11:06

Hello All, just received the marriage cert for my gt gt grandfather and confused over his wife. I know she was previously married as some of her kids to the first hubby are with her in 1901 but on this marriage cert it has her as spinster, should this have been widow? Regards, Claire

Unknown

Unknown Report 19 Dec 2004 11:35

Yes. Perhaps she was telling a porky, or the registrar made a mistake. Did she use her previous married name or her maiden name on the cert? Are you sure she is the same woman? nell

Bluesavannah

Bluesavannah Report 19 Dec 2004 11:38

Hi, she used her previous married name on the marriage cert. She was Elizabeth Wood and married Karol Chryst. Wood is her first hubbys surname, her actual maiden name was Adams. On 1901, 3 of the Wood children are with her and Karol along with 3 Chryst children they had together. I cant find a death for first hubby as there are hundred to chose from as he was called Charles Wood!

Unknown

Unknown Report 19 Dec 2004 11:57

Claire Perhaps she was divorced, which would be considered a bit scandalous in those days, hence she called herself spinster? Or perhaps "widow" sounded too elderly/grim? nell

Bluesavannah

Bluesavannah Report 19 Dec 2004 11:59

You could be right Nell, i dont think she was a bigamist at all or she wouldnt have the children with her and she would have used her maiden name rather than her first married name. I cant see her being divorced either, maybe she just didnt like the sound of Widow. Regards, Claire

Unknown

Unknown Report 19 Dec 2004 13:01

Claire Another thought. Perhaps first husband deserted her - she would need to keep her married name as that is what she was known by, but maybe didn't want the shame of having been abandoned. On the other hand, perhaps her first husband's death is just waiting to be discovered! nell

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 19 Dec 2004 13:27

Divorce , even when it became possible, used to be prohibitively expensive - at one stage it had to be tacked onto an Act of Parliament! ... That raises a thought. Aren't the Hansard Archives available (searchably) on the Parliamentary website? Perhaps that might be a route for tracking possible divorces? Has anyone tried it? Christine

Bluesavannah

Bluesavannah Report 19 Dec 2004 13:29

Ive just found Elizabeth on the 1891 census and she is down as widow on that with her kids so looking like ive got to discover the first hubbys death! Claire