Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Please can someone point me in the best direction

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andrea

Andrea Report 18 Dec 2004 22:13

I've hit a complete brick wall,I started trying to trace my tree. I lost all of my mothers side of the family in 1980's I was aged 6. I'm now trying to trace my father and my fathers side. Info I have is from my B/Cert calling him Peter Sidney Swift born Leeds, but my elder sisters B/Cert calls him Peter Rigby, Rigby being my mothers maiden name!! I also have my mother & fathers Marriage cert. This has given me details of his parents names which i've listed below. I've subscribed to most things I've come across costing me loads but have got me no where. Ideally I would like to get in contact with my father but have had no luck at all. I no longer go under my Birth surname as following my mothers death in 1984 I was adopted some years later and now have a double barrelled name. Making me as difficult to find as my fathers been. We do not think he is even aware of our mothers death. I've been told Peter had a brother who may of been called James or Jima. He was older than Peter His brother had something to do with science within universaties. I've tried searching for James Swift but have had no luck here either. Peter did have children from previous relationship the girl was named Carol & would of been born in 1960's PETER SIDNEY SWIFT D/O/B:21/08/1941 LEEDS JOYCE JOSEPHINE McKELVIE nee RIGBY 26/02/1944 L/POOL THEY MARRIED ON 18/02/1977 IN CENTRAL CLEVELAND CLAUDE BERTRAM SWIFT (PETERS FATHER) EVELINE MAY SWIFT nee PARKER (PETERS MOTHER) MARRIED 1939 IN MIDDLESBROUGH I would be so grateful if someone could help or give me some good advice as I would like to make contact soon as time isn't on my side. I now have a partner and children of my own and would like to no something of my roots. Kind Regards Andrea Rigby-Carnell

Anne

Anne Report 18 Dec 2004 22:30

If you could find the marriage of your mother to Peter Swift that would be the first step. I think you should go with your own birth certificate - your sister's details may not be the same as yours? Anne

Andrea

Andrea Report 17 Jun 2008 00:54

Please can someone have another luck and suggest some ways to help
thanks

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 17 Jun 2008 01:47

Hi Andrea

So really you are wanting to make contact with Peter Sidney Swift born 1941, Leeds. Am I right?

Have you tried the Electoral Registers for Leeds? Though you would need an address to look for rather than just a name, I think. What about phone directories? Some of these are on line. Have you found a possible death for Peter Sidney Swift? If no, then he is probably still alive, which I am sure is what you are hoping.

Lots of avenues to search, hope one comes good, not sure how I can help any more.

Regards

Margaret