Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth Never Registered?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tillot

Tillot Report 18 Dec 2004 21:10

See below

Tillot

Tillot Report 18 Dec 2004 21:14

I'm trying to find the birth of my great grandmother, Hannah Armishaw. She was born in Drayton, Staffs. I have her on the 1891 census aged 3 and the 1901 aged 13. From this I'm thinking she was born in 1887 or 1888. However I've just looking through both years and all quarters on 1837 online and can't find her? I can't find her on freebmd either. May her birth not have been registered? Any advice or help would be hugely welcomed. Thanks, Helen

Benjamin

Benjamin Report 18 Dec 2004 21:31

Hi Helen The reason for missing births is that maybe she was registered under her mothers maiden name as that has happened to a few of my ancestors. You could also try spelling variants like Armeshaw, Ameshaw etc. Even though birth registration began in 1837 it was made compulsory in 1874, so I would imagine her birth would of been registered. Ben

Linda

Linda Report 18 Dec 2004 21:34

Helen sorry this is the nearest i could find. Armishaw, Elizabeth Hannah Record Type: Births Quarter: June Year: 1877 District: Cannock County: Staffordshire Volume: 6b Page: 548 linda

Unknown

Unknown Report 18 Dec 2004 21:49

The birth located is 10 years out for her census age. If she was born 1877, she'd be on the 1881 census and, as far as I can see, she isn't listed. Could this be her spelt wrong??? Armishaw Hannie March Qtr 1887 Cannock 6b 499 Lou

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 18 Dec 2004 22:06

Helen ( sorry everyone if you have heard this before) but lots of records that are missing on GRO/ 1837 can be found on the local district records. The biggest mistake people new to genealogy make is to assume GRO/1837 is complete, it isn't by a long way!! Also you can find baptisms where registrations dont exist as people thought that counted. Even after 1875 there will be births not registered at all. Bob

Tillot

Tillot Report 18 Dec 2004 22:09

Thanks for the replies. Lou - that could be a possibilty and looks most likely at the moment. I've never heard of Drayton before though, I wonder if that's near Cannock? My head feels like it's about to explode!!

Tillot

Tillot Report 18 Dec 2004 22:11

Bob, Sorry only just noticed your reply. Could you explain how I go about finding her birth please? Sorry if I sound dumb, I've never not being able to find a birth before! Many Thanks

Michelle

Michelle Report 18 Dec 2004 22:15

Hi there, Market Drayton is very near Cannock, Staffordshire so it is very possible that Hannah was born there. Michelle

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 18 Dec 2004 22:16

Armishaws in Staffs (looking at FreeBMD images) 1887 Mar qtr (1887b1-10) Annie Walsall 6b 638? Annie Cannock 6b 499? 1887 Jun quarter (1887b2-012 Annie Maria Burton 6b 371 Harriet Ann Cannock 6b 524? 1888 Mar qtr (1888b1-10) James Cyrill Lichfield 6b 467? The trouble is that there don't seem to be any places just called Drayton: Drayton Bassett or Market Drayton but not just Drayton. Incidentally - "Hannah" and "Ann" are closely related names. Christine

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 18 Dec 2004 22:20

Or perhaps Harriet Ann got her name abbreviated to H.Ann and re-written Hannah? Christine

Tillot

Tillot Report 18 Dec 2004 22:22

Thanks to Michelle and Linda for your input. I've a feeling the one Lou has found could be her, but it's whether to go for the certificate or not?!! My head's really suffering with this now so I'm off to enjoy a baileys and forget about it for tonight!

Unknown

Unknown Report 18 Dec 2004 22:32

Helen If you have her on the census, you must have her with her parents??? You can order the cert from the GRO and ask them to check that the parents names match before they issue it. If it isn't her, you've lost £3 but better that than paying £7 for a cert that isn't yours Lou

Tillot

Tillot Report 18 Dec 2004 22:45

Lou, Yes I do know her parents names, so I'll do that. I didn't realise you could ask them to check against the parents names. Many Thanks Helen

Unknown

Unknown Report 18 Dec 2004 22:55

Helen You just order the cert in the same way but click on the button that says Reference Checking. You can then insert the info you have to be cross checked against whats on the cert. Easey peasy! lou

Kim

Kim Report 18 Dec 2004 23:10

My grt grandfather was not registered. my grandmother remembers that his parents didn't bother.They thought they could register him when the next child was born and this was in 1887. So he never had a birth certificate even though his parents registered his sister born later... Kim