Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is it unusual?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kitty

Kitty Report 18 Dec 2004 15:38

For one child to be born in 1897 and for there to be no other child until 1915? the mother would have been 44 when the 2nd child was born.

Paul

Paul Report 18 Dec 2004 15:46

It sounds unusual, but is by no means unique. Is it possible that they were in a different country between times? If they were married in Scotland, and moved to England, Ireland, or parts more distant and then returned any births would not appear on the relevant records. As for an age of 44, I have a similar one on my wife's side of the tree. She was 47 when the last child was born, he suvived only 6 days. Paul

Kim

Kim Report 18 Dec 2004 16:40

I have similar my grandfather was born 1899 and my Aunt wasn't born until 1910, as far as i know no others in between. The Aunt said she wasn't wanted as they only ever wanted one child! Her mother was born im 1869 so 41 when second child born. Kim

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 18 Dec 2004 16:46

There could have been miscarriages or infant deaths in between. As women get older (late thirties is 'old' for babies!) there are more likely to be complications. What was the husband's occupation? Could he have been working away from home? Was he in prison?

Kitty

Kitty Report 18 Dec 2004 17:36

He was a " Soldier on Furlongh" whatever that could be! Think I'll post what anyone may think it is. Thank you for your kind replies.

John

John Report 18 Dec 2004 17:43

Soldier on Furlough means he was on leave from the army, abscence on active service with the Army might explain long gaps between children, Remember there were the Boer Wars etc round 1899

Kitty

Kitty Report 18 Dec 2004 17:56

Wow thanks for that! that's fantastic information!

Anne

Anne Report 18 Dec 2004 22:40

There was 12 years between my grandfather and his older sister. I later discovered there were four children who died in between. My grandfather was born when his mother was 46 and father 56! Its a miracle I'm here at all. He lived to be 83! Anne