Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is anyone an expert on English army bases from 187

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 18 Dec 2004 13:52

My Gr Grt grandfather, John Irwin, (from Ireland) was in 2nd Battalion, 20th foot regiment. I know the movements of his regiment, & he was in England twice. First in 1861/62 and then 1874 til 1879. Now I know he had a child in Aldershot army base in Hampshire, in 1862. I am wondering what other army bases he might have been at in 74-79, so I can search for other children. thanks

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 18 Dec 2004 15:10

I have been searching for hours to find out where army camps were in England.......must be classified !?!? The names Halifax, Bury & Exeter were mentioned. Are there army camps at these places?? Or were there in 1870 ?? thanks

Geoff

Geoff Report 18 Dec 2004 16:17

Nowadays there is a Halifax Barracks in Hull 49th (West Riding) Signal Squadron Halifax Barracks Beverley Road HULL North Humberside HU6 7JA There is one at Bury: http://www.manchester2002-uk.*com/towns/bury2.html Also Exeter http://www.exeter.gov.uk/timetrail/11_lategeorgian/object_detail.asp?photoref=2_11_1

Jan

Jan Report 18 Dec 2004 17:51

Hi Karen, is the Halifax definitely England. Couple of my rellies were in Halifax, but Nova Scotia, Canada, not UK. I found that out by accident when I got some papers relating to one of the son's school reports. Jan

Paul

Paul Report 18 Dec 2004 17:58

Up until relatively recently (in genealogical terms) there were Barracks scattered all over the UK, with most major towns having at least one in, or close by, the town. Some were also in the countryside, especially where they were used for training or "sensitive" issues. Also, in Ireland, Police Ststions and Detachments were usually referred to as Barracks. Paul

Eric

Eric Report 18 Dec 2004 18:41

Hi Karen You can find Information of a soldier from the following. Attestation & Discharge Papers Pay List & Muster Rolls These are kept in the records office at the National Archives at Kew in London. The bad news is that you have to pay for someone to search for them or you have to call in person. You could always have a look at what records they hold on their site. www.nationalarchives.gov.uk Hope you find this helpful. Eric

Peter

Peter Report 18 Dec 2004 19:33

In 1873 they moved from Exeter to Bury In 1880 they became the Lancashire Fusiliers