Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1837 online - marriages

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tillot

Tillot Report 17 Dec 2004 19:47

I've just discovered on another website the actual year my gt gt grandparents married. I have credits on 1837 online but wondered will it actually show the name of the lady - I only know his name at the moment. Hope I make sense!

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Dec 2004 20:08

Helen In a word NO. Sorry. You'd need to know her full name to check that the reference matched Lou

Tillot

Tillot Report 17 Dec 2004 20:16

That's what I was hoping you wouldn't say! Oh well! Thanks though Lou.

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Dec 2004 20:18

Helen Have you no clue to her name at all? Have you got them together on a census at any point? Lou

Tillot

Tillot Report 17 Dec 2004 21:15

Sorry Lou, only just seen your reply. They apparently married in 1875. I have them together on 1881, 1891, & 1901 census' All I know is that she is Sarah A (middle initial) - born in Longford, Derby in approx 1856. I'll just have to buy another certificate I suppose, which I love doing, but my miserable hubby doesn't!!!

Judith

Judith Report 17 Dec 2004 21:22

Have you tried looking on FreeBMD - if you find your gt gt grandfather's name on there you can then click on the page number to see the other names which have been transcribed from that page. If you're lucky and the transcription is complete there should be two male and two female names I think, but in earlier years there were three marriages per page. One of the two (or three) ladies will be your gt gt grandmother Judith

Tillot

Tillot Report 17 Dec 2004 21:26

Thanks Judith - I've already tried free BMD but it isn't on there. I can't think what else to do other than buy a certificate. Oh well, but thanks!

Crista

Crista Report 17 Dec 2004 21:26

Helen, Marriages for the year 1875 are fully transcribed so you should be able to find her. Crista

Crista

Crista Report 17 Dec 2004 21:34

Helen, If he is Alfred Arminshaw then she's Sarah Ann Stone Crista

Tillot

Tillot Report 17 Dec 2004 21:49

Hi Crista, His name is Alfred Armishaw, born in Uttoxeter, Derbyshire (now Staffs ) in 1851. I found from another website (familyhistoryonline) that an Alfred Armishaw married in 1875 - which was found in the Derbyshire Registrars Marriage Index. You only have to pay 5p to view but I don't really want to pay £5 for credit on a site I don't think I'll use hardly, plus I don't know if it will even show me is wife's name.

Tillot

Tillot Report 17 Dec 2004 21:51

OH MY GOD!!!!! Crista how did you find that????????? please tell! But THANK-YOU (I just hope these are mine!!)

Tillot

Tillot Report 17 Dec 2004 21:55

Crista - I've now found him on freebmd - I'd been looking under Armishaw. Now I don't know the correct spelling!!!! I think it should be Armishaw - as his birth is listed as that on Ancestry and all the census' have that spelling. Thanks a million - really pleased!

Crista

Crista Report 17 Dec 2004 21:55

Helen, He's listed as Alfred Arminshaw on FreeBMD. There's an extra N. This must be his birth record: Armishaw, Alfred Summerland 1851 March Uttoxeter Derbyshire Staffordshire 17 240 Someone else has his name entered on this site also. Crista

Tillot

Tillot Report 17 Dec 2004 22:02

Thanks again for yet more help Crista. How exciting about the other member with the same Armishaw as me!!! I'll make contact straight away. Thanks for letting me know. Happy Christmas!