Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1854 Scottish Birth

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 16 Dec 2004 20:24

I am looking for someone who I think may have been born in Scotland in 1854. Can anyone tell me where I go from here? Alice

Jeanie

Jeanie Report 16 Dec 2004 21:23

Have you tried the LDS site. Its good for Scotland. When posting messages on this board its always worth putting the name of the person you are looking for and all the details. You may strike lucky. Regards

Val

Val Report 16 Dec 2004 21:55

what is the name looking for

Ellen

Ellen Report 16 Dec 2004 23:07

If you give me as much info as you have I will check Scotlands People for you. Regards Ellen.

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 17 Dec 2004 21:52

Dave Guessed you were busy. Contact me again when you have time. Alice

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 17 Dec 2004 21:53

Thank you all for your help. You have given me some idea of where to look. I will pursue further when I have time. Alice

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 17 Dec 2004 22:30

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk is an excellent site and they're offering the 30 credits for £6 an active life of 168 hours instead of just 48. Because Scottish law is different from English law you can get images of the actual register pages if you don't need the info certified. I got what would have been £21 worth of info without using up all the £6 of credits! Christine

David

David Report 17 Dec 2004 22:55

Hi - just a word of caution. I think that you are incredibly unlucky that civil registration in Scotland didn't start until 1855, so there won't be a birth certificate. However its still worth checking out Scotland's People, because there might be an OPR - Old Parish Record - for the birth. However, unlike the civil registration, they don't tend to have many online images for parish registration, and you may have to order it.

Sandra

Sandra Report 17 Dec 2004 23:22

glad I looked in on this thread, I have been trying to find a John Reip according to 1891 census born c1850 in Scotland, now I know they didnt have registration then looks like a much bigger task than I thought. oh well any ideas where I might try, I have tried familysearch, no luck.......... any ideas gratefully recieved sandie

Big Shaz

Big Shaz Report 18 Dec 2004 00:54

Alice have you any idea when in 1854 this person was born? All of my lot are Scots and I have found that if a person was born at the end of December their birth is registered in the following years entries in the January. Just a thought... incase this person you are looking for was born at the end of 1854, then they too would have made it into 1855 register. Shaz x

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 18 Dec 2004 02:36

And if you are lucky enough to find a rellie in 1855 the year registration began, those are the most informative certs of all. Birth certs for that year will also tell you how many other children the mother had, living or dead and death certs for that year include burial place. If only thay had continued to give that amount of info! Good luck Christine