Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FreeBMD

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharon

Sharon Report 16 Dec 2004 13:58

Just a quick question. I've seen FreeBMD mentioned here several times as giving the spouse but I've yet to find any entry that I've search for that lists a spouse or possible spouse (see thread related to 1837). Am I using the same site as everybody else? http://freebmd.rootsweb.com ?? If so, then I guess I must be using it wrong. I recently had somebody say they'd found one of my relatives on there and discovered two of her marriages and one of her daughters but I'm blowed if I can find out how that's done. Unfortunately, although I asked for an explaination to this, it hasn't been forthcoming :( Any help? ~Sharon

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 16 Dec 2004 14:04

If you click on the page number for a marriage, it should bring up other entries on the same page. Try it and see what happens. B

Gerry

Gerry Report 16 Dec 2004 15:16

Sharon. Firstly, to answer one of your questions, yes you have got the right site. I can't add much else to waht the others have said except to say its far from complete. Afraid can't answer how someone else found info but you cannot. Gerry

Heather

Heather Report 16 Dec 2004 15:28

Hi, freeBMD is an on going project and is not complete so you dont get every entry. But sometimes you are lucky and that is a great help. With marriages I have often had just one name come up for a page, because the transcribers havent completed it or there is a mistake. By the way, the people are not listed as couples - they go in alphabetical order. If you have the one name and a reference, some kind soul on here would probably look up the reference on 1837 on line and check the other partner. I take it you have tried looking up the missing person aswell?

Sharon

Sharon Report 16 Dec 2004 21:04

Thanks for all of your replies. I had tried clicking the page number but because the person I knew somebody to have married wasn't listed, I assumed I'd found the wrong person. I didn't realise that both parts in the same marriage wouldn't necessarily be transcribed. ~Sharon J

Kim

Kim Report 16 Dec 2004 23:01

I think the possible spouses are only listed alphabetically so you would need to look on the census too to find a match. Kim

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 17 Dec 2004 00:05

Now I'm puzzled too! I frequently use Lancsfreebmd. For marriages, it ALWAYS gives the bride and the groom together, plus the local registry office reference number for ordering. Am I using a different site from the rest of you?

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 17 Dec 2004 00:23

Marjorie You're using the Local BMD site. Where they exist they are excellent, in my opinion - although not yet complete, generally. However, there is a site called FreeBMD which is a (ongoing - work-in-progress) transcription of the GRO information - the central records for the whole country which are a quarterely transcription of the local records. Christine