Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

British Origins advice

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Dec 2004 22:01

Can anyone tell me if this site is any good for 19th century London ancestors? Or can anyone suggest another? Thanks, David

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Dec 2004 22:07

David It depends what you want to find out. My experience is that unless you have an unusual surname, you don't get enough info without paying, to prove you have the right person. 19th century relatives are relatively (excuse pun) easy to trace through censuses from 1841-1901 and the GRO indexes to births, marriages & deaths, as well as through parish registers, local newspapers etc. nell

Irene

Irene Report 15 Dec 2004 22:08

David What are you looking for. No two sites are the same, and each have plenty to offer. But what ever you find on line you must confirm with certificates or at least the parish records. The IGI is good but don't forget to get it checked out. If you would like to put the people you are hunting with ages and possible places of birth then we can try to help and maybe point you in the right direction. Good Luck Irene

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Dec 2004 22:20

Thanks both for answering - should have explained better:) Irish ancestors came to London about 1807/18? - I have each generation on every census from 1841 but they don't seem to have bothered with formal registration for births until the 3rd generation. It's a common surname with common christian names so I'm obviously having difficulties finding mother's/wife's maiden names to get a marriage certificate for the post 1837 generation and there is nothing on the IGI, Ancestry etc for the pre 1837 baptisms/ marriages. Just wondered if British Origins was likely to have any other resources worth trying - if not I'll have to wait for the day when I have time to hit the parish registers :)) David