Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finding Parents

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharon

Sharon Report 15 Dec 2004 11:52

This is what I have: Elizabeth Claxton married James Taylor in 1902. She remarried John Knightly in 1908. Her oldest child was John Knightly. Now, I've been searching for the child, John, but the only match I can come up with that's close is a John William Knightly born in 1907, which would have been before her marriage to the older John Knightly. I know that Elizabeth and John married in West Ham and this young John was also born in West Ham. I can't find any other John Knightly born in West Ham for the period that would be correct. He was definitely born before 1914 as that's when my grandmother was born and he was a few years older than her. I believe there was a second child, Jesse, born between John and my grandmother, Doris so that also places him very early in the marriage. Is there any way I can find out who this John's parents were without having to order a birth cert? I'm loath to keep spending £7 on certificates when I'm not certain I've got the right person. Thanks in advance for any replies. ~Sharon J

Sam

Sam Report 15 Dec 2004 12:29

Hi Sharon There is no way of knowing who this childs parents were without ordering the birth certificate. What you can do however, is order the certificate from the GRO and put the parent's names as a checking point. Then if the parent's names don't match the ones you want, you only get charged £3 rather than £7. Sam

Sharon

Sharon Report 15 Dec 2004 12:31

Well that's handy to know :-) Thanks ~Sharon

claxton

claxton Report 24 Jan 2009 00:35

john was possibly born before marriage
alan

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 24 Jan 2009 07:00

This is the one according to the 1911 census.

Births Jun 1909
KNIGHTLY John William T W.Ham 4a

Rose

Penny

Penny Report 24 Jan 2009 07:23

is this your gran?

Births Jun 1913

Knightly Doris E M Taylor W. Ham 4a 726
----------------------------------------------------------------

& Jessie

Births Sep 1911
KNIGHTLY Jessie A R Taylor W. Ham 4a 639

------------------------------------------------------
Births Jun 1913
Knightly Doris E M Taylor W. Ham 4a 726
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
looks like a Thomas too

Births Dec 1922
Knightly Thomas W W Taylor W.Ham 4a 544

Not sure why she is using Taylor as her maiden name though
===============================================

DUH- this thread is a month old!