Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

South Metropolitan Gasworks, Peckham

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mandy

Mandy Report 14 Dec 2004 19:12

Hi. My GGrandfather worked at the Old Kent Road Gasworks, as did many of his family. One of his sons Stanley Mathers had a photo and article published as an obituary after the second world war. Does anyone have any contacts of how I would find a copy of this photo? I've tried looking on ideal homes and looked through the Greenwich Historical site but can't seem to find anything. Any suggestions? Many thanks Mandy

Bob

Bob Report 14 Dec 2004 19:30

There are some interesting photo's here: http://www.ideal-homes.org.uk/southwark/peckham/sunbury.htm

Mandy

Mandy Report 14 Dec 2004 19:34

Thnks for this, I have looked at this site and while they are very interesting and gives me a good feel for the place, I would love to get this particualr photograph as my Grandmother would love to see it. Mandy

Peter

Peter Report 14 Dec 2004 19:42

do you know the name of the paper the obit was in they might have an arcive ( I exsect it was local to your relle) If not try London Arcives.

Mandy

Mandy Report 14 Dec 2004 19:46

Hi Peter, no I don't know the name, I just know it was the Gas Works own in house journal. Regards Mandy

Peter

Peter Report 14 Dec 2004 20:56

I have done a search and came up with 2 items that might intrest you and could be worth following up. 1)A story from Greenwich industrial history society.-www(.)gihs(.)gold(.)ac(.)uk remove (). To get the story add..../ghost.html (not a ghost story) or find it on site "Ghost in the Dome" 2)The site of the gas works now has this comp on it. South London Timber Co LTD 709 Old Kent Rd The Old Gas Works London SE15 1PD. Some comps keep old records of ones that have been on the site befor.

Gwen

Gwen Report 14 Dec 2004 23:02

Hi Mandy, My late husband worked at the Gasworks in the Old Kent Road and I still have the "Pensioners News" sent to me.It is worth trying to see if they can help you!!!! Pensioners News, Eastlands, London Road, Basingstoke, Hants RG21 4BE. Phone 08457 585247 open9am-5pm or email pensions.enquiries at eastlands(.)(co)(.)uk remove the brackets and change the word at to the sign Good Luck Gwen

Mandy

Mandy Report 15 Dec 2004 13:03

Hi Peter & Gwen Many thanks for your help and suggestions, I will certainly try both of this! Once again, thanks, it's much appreciated. Mandy