Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

census differences?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rachel

Rachel Report 13 Dec 2004 15:00

I am trying to find my great grandmother Winifred Williams on the 1901 census, I believe she was from Shropshire. She had my grandfather in 1916, so I would think she'd have been born before the census was taken, so should be on it. I checked 1901 on ancestry and none seem to fit, but I notice there is a Winifred Williams on the 1901census(.)nationalarchives(.)gov(.)uk who doesn't appear on ancestry. She's aged 1, born Ludlow Salop, civil parish St Lawrence Ludlow. I was just wondering why this entry isn't on the ancestry census? If anyone could tell me the transcription details for this Winifred I'd be very greatful or if anyone can explain why she's not on both? Thanks!

Unknown

Unknown Report 13 Dec 2004 15:01

Rachel Ancestry isn't complete. Some counties are not yet on it. Or she could be there but mistranscribed Lou

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 13 Dec 2004 15:10

Hi She is on Ancestry, but her age has been transcribed as 19, not 1. (19 is a bit old for a nurse child, but I don't think that the Ancestry transcribers are that bright LOL!) Checked the image & she is definitely only 1 year old. Here's the whole family (with Winifred's corrected age): Elizabeth Baker 42 Herefordshire, England Head Ludlow St Lawrence Herefordshire Herbert John Baker 19 Herefordshire, England Son Ludlow St Lawrence Herefordshire Kate Winfred Baker 12 Ludlow, Shropshire, England Daughter Ludlow St Lawrence Herefordshire Mabel Elizth Baker 14 Ludlow, Shropshire, England Daughter Ludlow St Lawrence Herefordshire Percy Baker 10 Ludlow, Shropshire, England Son Ludlow St Lawrence Herefordshire Thomas Lloyd Forker 22 Penkhull, Staffordshire, England Boarder Ludlow St Lawrence Herefordshire Winifred May Williams 1 Ludlow, Shropshire, England Nurse Child Ludlow St Lawrence Herefordshire

Rachel

Rachel Report 13 Dec 2004 15:19

Thankyou both Lou and Richard for your help. I don't think that's my one but at least I'm not kept wondering now! I guess it's possible she was born after the census (knowing my luck). Either that or she wasn't born in Shropshire after all.

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 13 Dec 2004 15:30

If she had your gf in 1916, then she was most likely born before 1901 (not necessarily, but most probably). Her marriage cert would have her age on it (assuming that she married). Also, if you can find her death on 1837online, the index would have her age at death. If she died after 1969, it should have her actual date of birth.