Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Knotting village Bedfordshire

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mary

Mary Report 13 Dec 2004 12:30

Can anyone tell me where I can find out more about the history of this little village? Most of my ancestors lived there and its a one street village with a church. I;ve tried google but that just seems to give me the church and a million ways to do knotting as a craft. I'd really like to know how it came to be, why it was called Knotting, stuff like that. Mary

Walter

Walter Report 13 Dec 2004 13:20

If your lucky enough to still live in Bedfordshire I suggest you visit a local library and request some hisorical book on the village. Other wise ask your own local library if they can help by getting you some books walter

Anne

Anne Report 13 Dec 2004 13:24

The Bedford and Luton Archive and Record Service (BLARS) are very helpful. If you are too far away to visit they might be able to provide some information for a small fee. You could ask what they have and how much before commiting yourself. Also you could try A2A website. This is a catalogue of archives throughout the country, but you could specify a search in BLARS and find out what sort of info they have. Anne

Mary

Mary Report 13 Dec 2004 13:55

Thanks for your help. I live too far away to visit the Records Office I'm afraid so have ben trying to find out what I could via Google and other Bedfordshire sites but nothing to give me what I'm looking for. I'll try A2A - must admit not tried that so it might be worth a shot. Once again many thanks Mary

Unknown

Unknown Report 13 Dec 2004 15:09

Mary This is all the information from genuki KNOTTING KNOTTING, a parish in the hundred of STODDEN, county of BEDFORD, 4½ miles (S. E.) from Higham Ferrers, containing 135 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, united, in 1735, to that of Souldrop, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king’s books at £10. 6. 8. The Rev. J. W. Hawksley was patron in 1792. The church is dedicated to St. Margaret. [A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1831] * Census * Church History * Church Records * Military History Census The 1851 Census Index for Knotting can be found in the 1851 Index to Census of Bedfordshire, Volume 1, Book 1 available from the Bedfordshire Family History Society. Church History Church of England The church of St. Margaret is a small edifice of stone in the Norman and Early English styles, with, Decorated insertions, and consists of chancel, nave, south porch, chapel and a small western tower containing a clock and one bell: the chancel arch is Norman, with zigzag mouldings : on the parapet of the tower is the date 1615, and a roof beam of the nave is dated 1669: there are about 70 sittings. The register dates from about the year 1592. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898] Non-conformist Here is a Wesleyan Methodist chapel. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898] Church Records Church of England The parish record transcripts for St Margaret are available on microfiche for the period 1592-1812 from the Bedfordshire Family History Society. Military History * The BFHS Project in conjunction with Roll of Honour contains the Knotting War Memorial

Mary

Mary Report 14 Dec 2004 15:15

Paul thank you so much - did look on genuki but must have missed that lot - how I don't - probably by that time eyes were popping out of my head ! Cheers for that. Mary

Mary

Mary Report 17 Dec 2004 14:32

Just to let you kind folk know that I looked on the A2A website - typed in Knotting and found a lot of information on the history of the village plus more if I wish to apply for it. Thought it might be useful for anyone else looking for details of places their ancestors were born. Once again many thanks to you. Mary