Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Leeds on 1871 Can I get some help reading the imag

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 13 Dec 2004 00:38

See below. I am not sure of the street name or John & thomas' occupation Thanks wish I could read ancient scrawl !!

Andrea

Andrea Report 13 Dec 2004 00:43

Just had a look on ancestry and there is 119,076 on the census for then..... I would assume that is all of Leeds But only 17 Grainger's with that spelling . Do you have any other info ?? :o) Andrea

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 13 Dec 2004 00:52

father is John from sherburn, wife Ann from Youlthorpe. Children & ages for 1871 William b Cawood 16 Edward " 14 John " 12 Mary J " 9 James b newsom green 5 Alice b Leeds 4 Annie was born 1871 in Leeds, so not sure if she would be on yet

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 13 Dec 2004 00:54

Karen have you tried GRANGER? Christine

Andrea

Andrea Report 13 Dec 2004 00:56

Any ideas of a approx age for them ??

Andrea

Andrea Report 13 Dec 2004 00:58

this might be them........... Name Age in 1871 Birthplace Relationship Civil Parish County/Island View Image Alice Granger 3 Yorkshire, England Daughter Leeds Yorkshire Ann Granger 33 Yorkshire, England Wife Leeds Yorkshire Ann E Granger 1 Yorkshire, England Daughter Leeds Yorkshire Edw Granger 14 Yorkshire, England Son Leeds Yorkshire Jame Granger 5 Yorkshire, England Son Leeds Yorkshire Jno Granger 13 Yorkshire, England Son Leeds Yorkshire John Granger 36 Shaven Head Leeds Yorkshire Mary Jane Granger 8 Yorkshire, England Daughter Leeds Yorkshire Wm Hy Granger 16 Yorkshire, England Son Leeds Yorkshire Eliz Rinder 19 Pocklington Lodger Leeds Yorkshire Thos Rinder 21 Yorkshire, England Lodger Leeds Yorkshire

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 13 Dec 2004 01:00

Thanks very much......... love the Shaven Head !!!!??? So glad they exist !! thanks again

Andrea

Andrea Report 13 Dec 2004 01:01

LOL.... I didn't notice that !!! Andrea

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 13 Dec 2004 01:53

Andrea..or anyone..... do you still have the image. I can't work out the street name. Is it Bankfarm ?? Also The occupation of father John & Lodger Thomas. It looks like tintin??? at the Mill, & the other at the pit. Thanks

Andrea

Andrea Report 13 Dec 2004 02:09

It looks like No 4 Bankfarm ?? St His occupation looks like Engine ??????? at Mill and Thomas the same at the pit Not much help, sorry ! Andrea

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 13 Dec 2004 02:31

thanks anyway Andrea.......pity these cesus collectors didn't have laptops !!

Andrea

Andrea Report 13 Dec 2004 02:34

Looked at previous pages, and definitely Bankfarm St.... but I can't see anything that even slightly resembles the occupations !! sorry Off to bed now 2.35 am, and up at 8..... oops !! I had a quick "google" for a Sherburn near Leeds, and there is a Sherburn in Elmet, who had a linen mill.... could be the one !! Here's the web address http://www.selbytourism(.)co(.)uk/explore/sherburn/index(.)php Good Luck Andrea

Anne

Anne Report 13 Dec 2004 13:39

ENGINE TENTER - someone who looked after and engine. Maybe we'd call them a fitter or mechanic now. Anne

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 13 Dec 2004 14:18

thank you Ann! Mystery solved. Cheers Karen