Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1837 Online

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JillyWilly

JillyWilly Report 12 Dec 2004 18:15

Hi All Just a word of warning when you use this site. Make sure that when you search a page double check the year you have asked to view. Last night I used no end of searches looking for someone I decided one last view for 1866 up came the page for 1866 but the image shown was for 1886. I printed off the page and asked others what date it was and they all said 1886. I emailed them about this mistake but as yet no reply from them. I wonder how many more are wrong. Jill

Jeanie

Jeanie Report 12 Dec 2004 19:39

Using the new system I searched for Robert Davies for a particular year. Up came the 4 qtrs, He wasnt on the first 2 but there were other Roberts. On the last 2, one only showed Mary and the other stopped at Rachel. I e-mailed them over 2 weeks ago but have had no replies. I dont care about the money, I want the page and vol. number!!

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 12 Dec 2004 20:14

Jeanie, 1837 online clearly state, that although you are searching by a first name and surname it doesn't necessarily bring up someone with that name of the pages it gives you. What it does is narrow it down a few pages to so that if there was a Robert Davies on the page you would definately get it. Where as before you just had to view pages by the first 3 letters of a surname. regards, Siobhan

Kate

Kate Report 13 Dec 2004 11:30

I have never been given a page for the wrong year unless I mistyped it, but with the new Surname and First Name search facility, the results are only as good as the transcriptions they have done of the first and last entry on each page, and these are sometimes wrong, especially with the old handwritten ones. I would suspect that the pages after the ones you were given ending with "Davies, Mary" and "Davies, Rachel" respectively would be the right ones but have perhaps been mistranscribed, and you may have to do a bit of ferreting around e.g. just type in the surname "Davies" for those quarters with no first name and see what pages you are given to choose from. (If you still can't find him, perhaps you should try "Davis" as well.) Sometimes you will be given some pages to look at free if the quality is not very good. I had this trouble looking for Janet or Jennet Morgan as one page said it started with "Anna" but really started with "Maria", but I did find her eventually.