Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can anyone help me find a marriage?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 11 Dec 2004 23:33

My great great great grandmother, Louisa Maria Lines Hawkins was born in Luton c1862. I am looking for her parents' marriage. Her father was Charles Hawkins and her mother was Susan. They were both born in the early 1830s. Susan's birthplace is stated as Flamstead and I believe her maiden name was Lines. Charles's birthplace is stated as Hertfordshire. I believe that Louisa was their first child so they would have married late 1850s - early 1860s. I would really appreciate any help on Charles's and Susan's birth and marriage. Thank you very much for your help and kindness, Lucia :-)

Andrea

Andrea Report 11 Dec 2004 23:51

Hi Lucia, I have them on the 1871 England Census. But this would mean Charles was born c1843. I'll have a look for a birth or a marriage. Name Age in 1871 Birthplace Relationship Civil Parish County/Island View Image Charles Hawkins 28 Hertfordshire, England Head Luton Bedfordshire Henry Chas Hawkins 8 Bedfordshire, England Son Luton Bedfordshire Lizzy Emily Hawkins 7 months Bedfordshire, England Daughter Luton Bedfordshire Louisa Maria Hawkins 10 Bedfordshire, England Daughter Luton Bedfordshire Sarah Hawkins 3 Bedfordshire, England Daughter Luton Bedfordshire Susan Hawkins 31 Hertfordshire, England Wife Luton Bedfordshire

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 12 Dec 2004 00:48

WOW. Thank you so much Andrea, Lucia :-)

Andrea

Andrea Report 12 Dec 2004 02:00

Hi Lucia, I can't find a birth or marriage for either Charles or Susan (but it is nearly 2am !!!) But it looks like Susan died the following year from the census Dec Qtr 1872 aged 32 ( vol-3b pg-281 LUTON ) In Mar Qtr 1873 Charles married a Clara Jane HURST ( vol-3b pg-622 LUTON) There is Charles and Clara on the 1881 census, but the only child there of Susan's is Sarah, and there is one called Robert born about 1872 ( could be Susan's ??) It is very possible that the other children died ( TB etc ) Louisa got married 12 Feb 1883 (Mar qtr vol-3b pg-607) to Arthur Punter. So I expect she is in service somewhere on the 1881 census. I'll look tomorrow....er, today ! If you want me to look for more, send me a message, although this could keep you busy for a while !! These are certainly easier to find than my family !! Andrea *** UPDATE*** Lizzy Emily died aged 1 Jun Qtr 1872 ( vol-3b pg-268 LUTON) What an awful thing to happen.

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 12 Dec 2004 13:08

Hi Andrea, that looks interesting. I will try and locate the rest of the family on censuses. Lucia :-)