Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Wills

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

*Clare

*Clare Report 11 Dec 2004 17:07

Could someone please tell me where to look to find a copy of a will? I am wanting to locate the will of my gg grandfather, he was a well know man were he lived and was pretty well to do, but he hung himself in 1909 and i want to know why. It could be cos he was unstable or maybe he had lost all his money on the project he was doing and just couldn't cope. Which ever it is i am wanting to locate a will to see if it is the latter of the two, so that i have a better understanding of why he did it. He was from West yorkshire, Thanks Clare

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Dec 2004 17:15

Clare He may not have made a will, but if he did, you can find it here: The National Archives & Family Records Centre Copies of the index to all wills from this period are available on microfiche at both The National Archives at Kew and the Family Records Centre. For supporting records see Death duty registers 1858-1903 Probate Search Room Wills later than 1858 are not held at The National Archives but may be read in the Probate Search Room which is at: Principal Registry of the Family Division First Avenue House 42-49 High Holborn London, WC1V 6NP Telephone number: +44 (0) 20 7947 6000 (Royal Courts of Justice switchboard) York Probate Sub-Registry Copies of wills are obtainable from the York Probate Sub-Registry by post, provided you know the date of death. The Sub-Registry is located at: York Probate Sub-Registry First Floor Castle Chambers Clifford Street York, YO1 7EA As his death was dramatic, perhaps there was a report about it, which might mention his financial situation, in the local paper. You can find back copies on microfilm at the relevant local records office, or at the British Library's newspaper archive in Colindale, North London. nell

*Clare

*Clare Report 11 Dec 2004 17:19

Thanks Nell, I found a piece about it in the local paper and it mentioned the project he was working on at the time, but nothing about his finances. Thanks for that though Clare

Kate

Kate Report 13 Dec 2004 11:41

Clare: The Nottinghamshire Archives have the National Probate Calendars from 1858 (when they started) until about 1966 available to search, and if you put the name and any address details etc. you have up on this thread I can look it up for you the next time I go if you like. If he is on there, it will say whether or not he left a will, date of death, date probate or administration was granted and who to, and a few other details; then if you want a copy of the will (if there was one) you can send off for it from York for £5. Kate.

*Clare

*Clare Report 13 Dec 2004 21:46

Hi Kate, It would be great if you could do that for me, His name is John White Age 54 at death Died 10th August 1909 Registered 16 August 1909 Inquest held 12th August 1909 Address No ? Cross Ryecroft Street Ossett West Yorkshire. Thanks Clarexxxx