Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

why is it that it's alway my ancestors...?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Louise2212

Louise2212 Report 11 Dec 2004 16:38

that never appear on census?

Maxine

Maxine Report 11 Dec 2004 17:02

Don't worry your not the only one, I have quiet a few, I put it down to that they didn't want to be found. What kind of problems have you got, because some of mine used first or middle names on census, one of mine actually changed their name so they wouldn't be found because they came over from Ireland. Maxine

Louise2212

Louise2212 Report 11 Dec 2004 17:04

i've got them on 1901, 1891 & 1881. then 1871 goes pairshaped (8 familes go missing) then 1 reappeares in 1851 only to go missing again

Angela

Angela Report 13 Dec 2004 15:24

You are not alone - I had great difficulty finding some of mine, but eventually found them under a completely different spelling. It pays to be open-minded when it comes to spelling the names.

Unknown

Unknown Report 13 Dec 2004 15:28

Louise I have a few like that. Got one who appears on the 1881 census as a 10 year old and then vanishes into thin air along with her mother! My major gripe is when they keep changing their ages and birthplaces every census. I'd LOVE to know what they were hiding! Lou

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 13 Dec 2004 15:36

Hi Me to Got one on the 1881 census census but does not appear on any other census even his is in doubt on the 1881 census so I am really stuck on that family which is my fathers line, Good Luck Margaret

Loops

Loops Report 13 Dec 2004 15:41

Have you tried using every version of a mispelling that you can think of? I couldn't find some of my family called Burdett, then I deliberatly mis spelt it and found them mistranscribed as Burditt and another time as burdell and again aas Bardett. Worth a try?