Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

NO REPLY

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Amy

Amy Report 10 Dec 2004 20:57

I THINK SOMEONE MIGHT HAVE INFORMATION ABOUT A GEORGE GRIFFITHS WHO MARRIED A HENRIETTA WILLIAMS BUT I THINK THEIR SUBSCRIPTION TO G.R. MIGHT HAVE EXPIRED - WHAT CAN I DO ?? ALSO I HAVE SENT OUT ABOUT 20 + OTHER MESSAGES BUT HAVE NOT HAD ANY LINKS .I READ THE SUCCESS BOARD AND WONDER WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? I DON'T THINK I HAVE GOT THE HANG OF THIS...!!! Amy

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 10 Dec 2004 21:05

If you have sent someone a message, they will get an email from GR telling them about the message even if they don't subscribe anymore. I only know this because I sent someone a message a couple of weeks ago because they had someone in their tree that I thought might be an ancestor of my husband, and I got a reply from them, saying that they did not subscribe anymore, but could still receive messages. Kath. x

Amy

Amy Report 10 Dec 2004 21:09

THANK YOU FOR YOUR PROMPT REPLY KATH I WILL JUST HAVE TO WAIT........ AMY

Jeanie

Jeanie Report 10 Dec 2004 21:42

Hi Amy, It is very frustrating when people do not reply to your e-mail but it is wonderful when they do! I had weeks of no answers then started on a different branch and had loads of great replies. One name had only 800 names and the other was in the thousands and that may have had something to do with it. Its also important to say what your asking for and why. I have had a couple who ask if there is a connection to a name but give no details of their side or indeed they open their tree and the person is not on it!! In the last few months am having more replies than not, so keep asking. Regards Jeanie

Laurie

Laurie Report 11 Dec 2004 00:43

Dont give up - but remember to some this is a hobby that they have control over, they put it down and pick it up like the knitting, doesn't mean they're not keen. Thats what I am trying to learn to do, without much luck. Approach it like every reply you get is a bonus and enjoy regards Laurie

Chris

Chris Report 11 Dec 2004 01:41

If their membership has run out and they don't want to renew it they can't answer you unless you put your email address on your message.

Sue

Sue Report 11 Dec 2004 05:30

Sorry to contradict, but you can reply to a message, even when not a full, paid up member, I let my membership lapse to experiment with what I could and couldn't do. You can't instigate communications but can reply. Can't post on message boards, but can on trying to find. I think the reason it can take so long for a reply, is that for some people this was a "flash in a pan" hobby, and they are just not as interested as they might be. Frustrating all the same!! Suex

Carole

Carole Report 11 Dec 2004 08:59

Also, bear in mind it is a busy time of year for most people so you may get a reply after Christmas. Fingers crossed for you. Carole PS You do not need to be a member to receive messages.

Foxyfeline

Foxyfeline Report 11 Dec 2004 09:08

Hi Amy Well, I have had a load of trouble, have come back to England from Holland, and started again here near my family. Have been offline all summer, so there might be people out there like me, who have just had unfortunate circumstances, and it might not be their fault that they are offline, or cannot reply to your messages. I personally am back on line now, and am trying to reply to the backlog of messages that I have received all summer (from June till now). Hopefully, I am getting there!!! Keep waiting, I am sure you will get replies in the end. Lisa xx

sparklysam

sparklysam Report 11 Dec 2004 10:30

They may also have changed their email address and forgotten to register the change with Genes Reunited. But next time they log in to the site it should show they have a message waiting for them!