Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ordering certificates from Scotland

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Irene

Irene Report 10 Dec 2004 16:29

Just ordered my first certificate from Scotland, it was helpful I knew the date of the marriage but they were so helpful and kind. It will cost me £13.00 this is to check the marriage and send the certificate. A bit more expensive than here but its better than the train fare. So any of you who are looking at ordering from Scotland have a go. Irene

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 10 Dec 2004 17:07

Do you really need the info certified? If not, Scottish law is different from Engalnd & Wales. Look at http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ and you'll see what I mean. I got the equivalent of three birth certs worth of info without using all my £6. Christine

Irene

Irene Report 10 Dec 2004 20:21

Christine, I needed to know the names of the couples parents to be able to get back any further, they married in 1930 so just out of the on-line. Andrews nan has just had a heart attack so we are unable to ask her her grandparent names, also with her father being English we wanted to be able to start this end as well. With a name like Frederick Carter and unsure of his age he could have been born anywhere in England a fathers name is very helpful. At least know when I get the certificate I can order some credits and not waste any time. Irene Irene

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 10 Dec 2004 22:10

Aaah! I was really worried you were going the expensive route when you didn't need to! Christine

Irene

Irene Report 11 Dec 2004 00:48

Thanks Christine for showing such thoughfulness. Many people would not have bothered. Irene

Val

Val Report 11 Dec 2004 17:48

scottish cerfificates have more information than the english ones as I got my gran and grandads marriage certificate in England only fathers name on it scottish ones have both parents which meant I have went back 1885 but stuck as my great great gran and grandad marriage not found