Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is there a way? Please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 10 Dec 2004 08:45

Hi is there any way you can knock down a brickwall when the only information you have is a marraige certificate, and can't find the person on any census except the 1881. as I have now been looking for 3 years I think it is time to give up. I have been reluctant to give up because this is my fathers line but there are no birth certificates and even a difference in ages. Is there any way you can see an original marriage certificate. thank you for any advice Margaret xx

Heather

Heather Report 10 Dec 2004 08:48

What name and place are you looking for in census?

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 10 Dec 2004 09:08

Hi Heather, I am looking for William Poole whom married in Haverhill Suffolk and where the 1881 census says he was born but he does not appear on any other census in 1881 he was living in Edmonton North London but married in Haverhill in 1871 where his 2 children were born but there does not even appear to be birth certificates for them. The only address it gives on the marriage certificate is both of the parish of Haverhill, thank you Margaret

Crista

Crista Report 10 Dec 2004 09:38

Margaret, What info. are you looking for? You have the marriage so you can get the fathers from that. One of these could be your Kate: Births Sep 1874 Pool Kate Risbridge 4a 454 Births Dec 1874 Pool Kate Risbridge 4a 437 Crista

Crista

Crista Report 10 Dec 2004 09:45

By 1891, Emma is a widow and the 2 daughters are servants. She has 2 sons George and Albert aged 9 and 2. Crista

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 10 Dec 2004 12:59

Hi to you all the 2 Kates are not his children and yes Crista you are right about the children and from his marriage certificate I know his father's name was George. But it is getting back from William that is the problem because I can't find him in any other census living with his father have no clue as to what his mothers name was, also so on his marriage certificate in 1871 it said quite clearly he was 24 but on the 1881 census it says he was 44. I also know his wife remarried in 1893 but I am having trouble even findind a death for him because mainly not knowing his age. I have done his wife's family and got a long way back. Thanking you all Margaret

POSITIVE Pauline

POSITIVE Pauline Report 10 Dec 2004 13:43

Hi Margaret I can go one better and have a marriage cert for a Matthew Wasley, but can't find him on ANY census. He is dead by 1880 when his daughter marries, and according to the wedding cert, was born c1825, so no chance getting him on Free BMD or 1837. Brick wall big time that one, and he's my 2nd g grandad as well. Any ideas at all? Pauline

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 10 Dec 2004 15:50

Hi Pauline I know how you feel because who I am looking for is my Great grandfather I do not know what to do either. Have you looked at all the earlier census, has name been transcribed wrong. Perhaps I can look for you and you for me Regards Margaret

Lovettpod

Lovettpod Report 10 Dec 2004 15:59

Hi, have you tried Haverhill family history site? http://www.haverhill-uk[.]com/genealogy/index.shtml if the info is not on there there could be a useful contact on there, sorry if you already have....Helen

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 10 Dec 2004 18:31

Hello Helen, Yes I have tried the Haverhill site and even been in touch with some people from there all to no avail thibk I have got every Poole birth and marriage Margaret