Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

copying trees..

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mark2202

Mark2202 Report 9 Dec 2004 17:18

we have just found recently my wifes family going back to the early 1880's from a member who is a different branch of her family tree.it would takes ages to write down the other part of her tree that he has provided, so is their away to import it into our tree or is a case on paper and penthanks

Nichola

Nichola Report 9 Dec 2004 17:24

Hi Mark, Firstly, does this person who has supplied the information know that you are going to copy all their research and hardwork and add it to your own tree. Some people dont appreciate others doing that, especially if they arent even told. As far as I am aware you can only import a tree into this site if you only have your name and nobody elses on your tree. You cant just import a particular branch. Hope this makes sense Nicky

Mark2202

Mark2202 Report 10 Dec 2004 16:58

Hi nicky yeah its ok we ave exchanged trees so we can both complete our own trees,i have more than one surname on there so it looks like i'll have to write them down first.Many thanks.mark

Wendy

Wendy Report 10 Dec 2004 23:38

This is not exactly a reply---sorry to hi-jack your thread, but it has raised a question. If you give access to your tree, how easy is it for someone to attach your info to their own tree, assuming there is some [distant] contact? Someone has done that to me. While I have no objection to him taking the info---he is I believe a true relative--I wasn't aware that he could just take it all and attach it to his tree. After all he doesn't know me, and doesn't know how reliable that info is [trust me-it is!! but he doesn't know that]. This is not a whinge. I have e-mailed the person in question already. I just wondered how this can happen so easily--it was within 2 days. I know that I wouldn't know how to do that, nor would I wish to. I think that what I want to say is "don't trust info you find too easily". It may have been found in this way, without proof to back it up. Wendy

Anne

Anne Report 11 Dec 2004 14:45

Yes I agree Wendy, I had the same thing happen. I didn't really mind the person adding all my dead rellies to his tree but some of them had a VERY tenuous connection to him! I did ask him if he was confident that all my information was correct but he didn't seem bothered. He was doing it "for his Granny". I believe he's lost inerest now anyway! The point about copying occurred to me at the time because I really didn't think he would have taken the trouble to copy them in one by one - there were about 50 of them. I thought at the time he must have found a way of copying it quickly. I didn't send him a Gedcom. Anne