Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Information on emmigration to US in 1880s

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elaine

Elaine Report 9 Dec 2004 09:32

Does anybody know how I can trace my g.grandparents move to Texas in about 1885/6? At one point they were on a cotton plantation. They had 3 children in Texas and then came back and settled in Salford where their 4th child was born. This is such an adventure for a working class family that I am desperate to find details. They can't be found on a census in the US. Any help/ideas much appreciated. Elaine

Crista

Crista Report 9 Dec 2004 09:52

Elaine, http://www.tdh.state.tx.us/bvs/registra/pre1903.htm Crista

Carol

Carol Report 9 Dec 2004 09:54

You may be able to find them on a passenger list. Try here http://www(.)theshipslist(.)com/

Elaine

Elaine Report 29 Dec 2004 23:53

Nudge

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 30 Dec 2004 00:00

What are their names? Many Texas counties are available on the 1890 census.

Elaine

Elaine Report 4 Jan 2005 13:15

Rosemary Sorry for delay in replying, we have had visitors. Their name is Dearden. Alfred b Manchester abt 1858 Amelia nee Davies b Acton Burnell, Shropshire 1860, Margaret b 1887 in Texas Frank b 1889 in Texas John b 1891 in Texas Annie b 1894 in Salford, where they then stayed. I don't know where in Texas they lived, but for some of the time they were on a Cotton Plantation. I can't find a passport application or any recred of entry into Galveston or new York. Another member told me much of the US census was destroyed by fire. So... any help would be much appreciated. Happy New Year. Elaine

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 4 Jan 2005 22:39

Didn't find them on the 1890 census. It is true that much of the US 1890 was destroyed by fired but a few records remained, including some in Texas but not Galveston Co. I think I found an immigration record. Alfred Dearden, b 1858, arrived Apr 26, 1884 from the Port of Liverpool on the Ship Egypt. Also listed is wife Alice Dearden age 20. I looked at the image and her name could be Amelia but mistranscribed. I did a google search for Alfred Dearden and found a few message board postings. One on Ancestry by David Dearden gave a good clue. He mentioned on the back of his father's baptismal certificate was written Taylor or Taylor Town near Galveston. There was a Taylor Compress Company in Taylor, Galveston County Tx. It was a cotton processing plant. Maybe that will help narrow down the search.

Elaine

Elaine Report 4 Jan 2005 22:52

Thank you Rosemary. This is fantastic. I couldn't find them on a ships list so well done you. I think David Dearden may be my second cousin who I have lost touch with. I don't have Ancestry. Is there any way you could pass my email details to him via Ancestry? Thank you so much again. I'll let you know what develops. Elaine

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 4 Jan 2005 22:55

Do you mind if I keep a note of this thread as I may want to use some of the sites mentioned to do the tree later. Lorraine

Crista

Crista Report 4 Jan 2005 23:00

Elaine, You don't need an Ancestry subscription to use the message boards. I'm posting this URL in 2 parts because it is too long for this board: http://boards.ancestry.*com/mbexec/message/an /localities.northam.usa.states.texas.bags/169 Join those 2 bits together to get to his message. Crista

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 5 Jan 2005 00:29

Elaine, you can enter the Ancestry message board for free through Rootsweb. I found the posting and saw his email address. I'll email you with David's email address. The message was posted Dec 17, 2004 so the email address should be current. Location of the message is: Boards > Localities > North America > United States > States > Texas > Bay Area Genealogical Society (BAGS) Title: Taylor or Taylor Town near Galveston Hope you reconnect Rose