Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Waller Marriage

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 8 Dec 2004 17:42

My 4xgreat grandfather, James Waller married Emma Davis( a minor) in 1848. At the time he was a widower and I have been trying to find details of his previous marriage but Waller is such a common name! And a single search produces loads of results. He was married at Lilley, Herts. Can anyone offer any advice? Thank you so much for your help, Lucia ----------------------------------------------------------------------------P.S Can anyone tell me what the minimum age for marriage was? I thought this was 21 but Emma was 23 at the time. Lucia :-)

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 8 Dec 2004 21:51

Oh wow. Thanks that looks very interesting. It's the same village so looks very likely. I will look into that. Lucia :-)

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Dec 2004 22:05

Minimum age for marriage was 12 for girls and 14 for boys until the 20th century, but they needed their parents' consent. Over 21 they were considered "full age". nell

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 8 Dec 2004 22:07

Wow. I never thought it was that young. So why was she recorded as a minor when she was at least 20? Thanks Nell, Lucia :-)

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 8 Dec 2004 23:43

They'd still have been minors until 21. It's much as you can marry now at 16 (?), but need your parents' consent - and continue to do so until you're 18, when you become "of full age" and "attain your majority". (I'm a bit vague about current details because I don't need to know them just now!) Christine

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 8 Dec 2004 23:46

if you look on the Waller homepage you will find Hilary Waller who is also researching Wallers in Hertfordshire. You never know , you may be related. Best wishes Janet