Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Please help!! (advice needed)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 8 Dec 2004 16:59

I have this marriage: JOHN BESSANT Marriages: Spouse: YELSE WITT Family Marriage: 01 FEB 1825 Ringwood, Hampshire, England The question is, are these my 'people'? The first daughter of this couple was baptised 24 April 1825 (Martha BESSANT) in West Parley, Dorset. I think. The names are given as John and Alice. John was a yeoman. A lot of the baptisms occur in West Parley and the surrounding area. My ancestor William Bessant was born in Cranborne in 1832 to (on the parish register) John and Grace Bessant. John was a yeoman. John's occupation never changes. The lady who is doing a one name study on the Bessants thinks that John and Alice/Grace are my William's parents. But is the above their marriage? John Bessant was born in St Leonards, which is near Ringwood. Even though I've not tracked down his baptism, Brenda and I think that his parents were Benjamin and Sarah (who have a few kids baptised in Ringwood). John's father on his second marriage (after 1837) is down as Benjamin. Could Yelse have been a mistranscription on the IGI? Please help!

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 8 Dec 2004 18:52

Do you have any daughters ,g.daughters from this pair named Alice.Usually a good indicater

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 8 Dec 2004 19:07

Not that I know of. Further down the line, my g grandmother's middle name was Alice, but she was born in 1887. What do you think the likelihood of that 1825 marriage being the one I'm looking for?

Peter

Peter Report 8 Dec 2004 19:10

Yeles dose not come up in my name surch sites and looking at it as if it was hand writen I could see how it could easely turnd from Alice to Yeles. To give you some Idea of how a name can change On the Origanl the name was ment to be Kleboe but even magnifide it looked like Loboo

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 8 Dec 2004 19:26

Thanks Peter. I wish these people were still here to ask! LOL

Peterkinz

Peterkinz Report 8 Dec 2004 20:08

Chloe - have you thought about a trip to your local Family History Centre (Mormons) they will get a film of the original for you so that you can check the transcription - with the benefit that you can look and see if the Vicar's spelling varied a lot on other people - cheap, quick and easy!

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 8 Dec 2004 20:19

Thanks, Peter. Will have to organised one eventually!

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Dec 2004 21:47

When I saw Yelse I immediately thought it might be a misrecording of Else, Elsie or Elsa! nell